Advice on the best camera for digiscoping.

dgethin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have purchased a Celestron Ultima Refractor 80 - 45 angled scope, and a Celestron Universal Digital Camera Adapter, to go with my (already owned) Panasonic Lumix TZ5 camera.
I am having a some problems with vignetting. Since I bought the scope I have found that the Lumix camera is not very suitable for digiscoping.
I am having my 65th birthday soon, so my wife is going to buy me a new camera.
I would like to know what is the best camera to go with my Celestron scope.
I am sure some of the experts will give me some suitable advice.
Many Thanks.

I don't have any experience with various camera on a 'scope.... just a D7000 and a D600 is all I know.

I don't have any experience with various camera on a 'scope.... just a D7000 and a D600 is all I know.

That is more than most of us have! ;) If the OP would post a suitable budget... it might help narrow down the choices also!

The vast majority of 'scopes, as I've heard, are really unsuitable for 'proper' photography. They're really very soft and full of optical flaws (chromatic abberations, coma, astigmatism, etc.) that would make most people cringe.

You might want to head over to BirdForum - The Net's Largest Birding Community, Dedicated To Wild Birds - TPF doesn't have many digiscopers (I'm not saying we don't have members who do do it just that we don't have all that many). If you scroll down the big list they've a photograpy and digiscoping section where you can get a lot more direct feedback for a good digiscoping setup.

Either way giving an idea of the budget you have for this would also help a lot; its hard to suggest a camera without an idea of the rough amount of money one is willing to spend.

Didn't Nikon, at one time, make an eyepiece for their telephotos so they could be used as a spotting scope?

Refracting telescopes have more optical issues than reflecting telescopres do, because refractors use lenses for the main optics.
Reflectors use mirrors for the main optics,
Reflectors as tend to be 'faster' than reflectors, and have more focal length if the optical path is folded, like 480Sparky's catadioptric reflector does.

For astrophotography a dedicated astronomical camera would be best - http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/4.uts

Canon makes a DSLR optimized for astrophotograhy - Canon EOS 60Da 18.0 MP CMOS Digital Astrophotography SLR Camera with 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back