advice on this portrait?

DIRT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jfreeman.smugmug.com
this is a portrait of my sister and i used a glamour/clamshell configuration with 2 softboxes and i need some feedback because it just looks a bit off to me. i know i need a hairlight in there.

SUMMER-FOR-WEB.jpg

The posing is fine. I want to see more ratio in the lighting, giving more shape to her face. Move one of the softboxes (the main) in closer. Is that a reflector I see?

-Pete

I agree with Pete. The pose is nice but the lighting needs more punch. I usually use the softbox for one light source and the strobe with umbrella for the other.

Where do you think you see a reflector? thanks for the tips too. oh, there is 2 catchlights in the eyes with the main one at the bottom, how would i get rid of that ? (move lower light closer or further from her. thanks.

DIRT said:
...2 catchlights in the eyes with the main one at the bottom...

Oh... OK. I wondered if that was one of the softboxes. I often times use a refletasol there.

Since you have that light positioned there, where it creates a nice, flat, overall lighting, consider that one to be your FILL light. Let the other light become the MAIN and move it in closer so that is twice as bright, or one more stop. You will start to see some modeling (form as a result of the shadows) then.

Move your new MAIN from left to right, looking for the most flattering lighting for your subject.

MAN, I hope this is clear. I wish I could show you... it would be so much easier for me. I'm afraid I might not be expressing myself correctly.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back