Advice on Tripod

telex95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to get a tripod for my Nikon FE2. I want a tripod that's sturdy, light (because I travel a lot) and affordable. Any recommandations?
Thanks in advance,
Sofia

I think that everybody want one that is all of those things...

If you want sturdy...it will either be heavy or expensive. If you want light, it will be flimsy or expensive ... you get the point?

I use one of the basic tripods that is plastic & aluminum with a built-in 3-way head. It's a Velbon. It's OK, it's light and was not too expensive but it is not all that sturdy. I have a nice travel bag for it though.

Manfroto is one of the best brand names is the tripod world. Check them out for good quality.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I was asking too much, but at this point, I think I would like to have one that is sturdy, because I've invested alot on the camera and I definitely wouldn't want to see the tripod to fall over and damage my camera as that has happened to my dad's. Any other suggestion?

Yes, I heard Manfroto makes good tripod. I'll definitely check it out.

I 2nd manfroto. They are very good. You are going to have problems getting one that meets all you needs. affordable ones usually are not sturdy. light sturdy ones are not affordable.

Big Mike's got it correct....

Sturdy and lightweight are mutually exclusive unless you spend big bucks. Even then, the most lightweight full height tripods don't seem any more stable than their aluminum siblings which cost a fraction.

I too also recommend Manfrotto tripods. They are very well designed, stable, sturdy, and have a great selection at all price ranges. I have a 3001 and 3021 series manfrotto tripod. Either should serve you well. A 3001 with a bogen non-pro ball head should run you about $120. That pretty much could keep you happy for a long long time and is a very popular combination. The 3021 series tripod I own is actually the old shorty version with a monopod /center column. Its a very stable platform even with the center column extended a bit. For really light packing, I carry a cullmann magic 2 tripod. Folds flat, relatively lightweight, stable enough for most situations.

Manfrotto 3021S with monopod/center column
DSC01626_post.jpg

Cullmann Unfolded but not extended full height
IMG_4790_post.jpg

Folded flat
IMG_4802_post.jpg

Thanks for the pics!
I like how the cullmann folds! I find my equipment to be quite heavy already, so I'll check out the weight on both of the tripods at a local store. Do you find cullmann sufficiently stable?

The Cullmann is only stable enough for lighter setups... I'm guessing under 5 lbs. Anything more and I end up bringing the full tripod. If someone built a tripod that is sturdy, lightweight, compact, and affordable they would be rich.

I use a Velbon as well a CX660, it seems to do the trick for me, the only complaints i would have is that if you are using a telephoto lens u need a screwdriver to tighten the connection between the head and the camera otherwise the camera twists when it's in the portrait position, as far as build quality goes, its aluminium and plastic, isn't terribly heavy and seems to be more than sturdy enough for my requirements.

[edit] Hey look at that it's my 100th post

Most reactions

Back