Advice on websites

AmberNikol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering what is the best site to use for a website for a photographer that is decently priced?

I've looked at smug mug, which is more of a photo hosting but you can do a website on there can't you? Like be able to show your photos and be able to have a contact page and client portal and what not?

I've been looking at BlueDomain.com for a site, just haven't bitten down and spent the 200 upfront for the website. I want to make sure I choose the best option.

Was just wondering what everyone else is using. Right now I have a free site through WIX.com but I'd like to have something with a client portal that they can put in a password and view their photos and only those who give them the password can see all the photos.

A couple of others to consider: ExposureManager, Zenfolio.

That's cool Mike, question-why do you have two websites? What site doesn't have what the other one has for you?

I guess I'm looking for something that I can have everything in one place.

I've looked at Zenfolio but I guess I don't really understand that site...can it be set up like a website too?

Sure. It's its own hosted solution. You can simply link it in..integrate it into your website's navigation, like other sections of your content. Is that what you mean?

Unless you anticipate the need for a full-featured e-commerce solution, your best bet will be to check with local hosting companies, find out who offers a reasonable amount of space for a suitable price and then fire up Notepad and build your 'site.

I've been looking at BlueDomain.com for a site, just haven't bitten down and spent the 200 upfront for the website. I want to make sure I choose the best option.
People spend a fortune on their camera equipment but are not willing to pay for a website to promote their business. It's so very important...

I customize Joomla templates and have been happy with the Ignite Gallery. The only feature it does not have is being able to disable the 'right click and save' feature but it does have a built in watermark option. Last night I tried out a flash gallery for use with Joomla but I wasn't crazy about how I had to load the images, but it is an option for people who want flash inside their Joomla. The problem I've found with Joomla is most of my customers have a horrible time trying to learn the program. Bad for them but good for me with maintenance fees. ;)

I think Smug Mug is popular because it does offer image hosting and a lot of their sites are in flash, which helps to prevent theft. I've never used them so I can't comment much.

On one of the Facebook photographer groups I belong to, someone was asking about this company: ShowItFast.com I have no idea what kind of prices they have but I really liked their templates.

I don't see how you get up to 200$ upfront??? ~12$ to register a new domain and around 30$/month would get you somewhere depending on your clientele...

Have a look at Photoshelter. They also have a 2 week trial period, cost is $1 no contracts to sign, no money upfront, just the monthly charge, depending on which plan, based on storage space, costs start at $29/month, they have a great series of templates to build your own pages. I've had no problems with them in over a year now.

I've used Smugmug for years. I customized my site , used Google docs to create a simple contact page that I embedded into the site. The Smugmug Pro account lets you establish your own pricing. Lastly, up until recently I was doing my own printing but I decided to try out their service. The day I got my prints was the last day I used my printer.

I will admit though that I am itching to use Photoshelter because, from what I have researched, their SEO is on the ball, and I dig their templates.

I am concerned though ... what was the $200 for?

Smugmug is a waste is you don't use their printing service and you don't host large amount of photos on there.

I have a friend that works at a web design firm that is building me a site. I'm not going to host large amounts of photos and I'm not selling prints, so spending the $120 a year on their pro hosting was a waste of money.

Smugmug is a waste is you don't use their printing service and you don't host large amount of photos on there.

I have a friend that works at a web design firm that is building me a site. I'm not going to host large amounts of photos and I'm not selling prints, so spending the $120 a year on their pro hosting was a waste of money.

Then go with a power account? its only 60$ and allows for full customization. Although im paying for the pro and 20$ a month is pretty cheap for all the features they offer.

I've been writing my own website but have realized I need help so I am using a web developer to customize my site. For events I use Millers storefront. It will be linked to my website when finished. I don't have a need right now for a customized eCommerce site so places like Millers and Collages.net work for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back