Advice on what camera to buy

mystie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi to all!

I want to launch myself into photography. In fact up till now I've taken pics only with my mobile phone camera. And I'm not happy with the pics quality. So I want to invest in a true digital camera.

Now what kind of photography I'm planning to get into?
Landscaping/nature and macro photography mainly. Might go for buildings too.

I've set my mind on 2 cameras: Sony Cybershot DSC-H20 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3.

But I can't bring myself to decide which one is best for what I want to do.

I've read that the Sony doesn't have wide angle. Now does this affect a landscape picture? The lame knowledge that I have tells me yes but is this really a problem?

Please help me decide. Thanks in advance.

I might suggest the Cannon SD980 IS. Seems like it would handle everything you are looking to do and more while still staying within your price range.

If you were willing to spend a little more, I would suggest the Cannon S90 or G11. Both of these cameras will keep you happy for a long time and offer some great photos.

p!nK

I can safely say I am one of a VERY FEW that feel this way, but why not learn on a camera that will please you more and more as you learn how to use it, rather than quickly outgrowing a camera that fit a beginning status. Is budget a real issue? If you have the financial means, you may want to consider full frame options.

Of course, if you fade out of this photography phase anytime soon, you will have spent a good chunk of money on a whim and won't be able to get it all back when you sell.

just my opinion..steer clear of of Sony, Kodak, Samsung at the point&shoot end of the scale. the image quality is generally poor i've found with using those makes and looking at sample pictures in reviews. Panasonic and especially Canon are much better overall. Nikon make some good P&S cameras but you have to research which particular models. as MrPink has suggested, if you can stretch your budget into at least a ''bridge'' camera (offering manual control, RAW file format, an external flash shoe) you'll be into a higher level of capability and satisfaction (subject to a learning-curve of course).

generally ignore cameras sold on the feature of ''digital zoom''..research cameras that offer ''optical zoom'' something like 10x could be useful for you. Panasonic put great emphasis on making cameras with reasonable quality wide to extra long zooms.

to recommend a camera i would suggest a Canon G11 (or if you cannot afford that then a G10 or G9 - older models.)

I recommend the Nikon D3x. It will do just about everything you would want and give you stunning quality.

Hi Mystie, welcome to the forum. I'm going to make a guess and guess that you have considered which type of camera you want and are now deciding on which brand.

That being said I have heard good things about the Panasonic. I bought my son a Canon had he is very happy with it and it makes me happy that he hasn't broken it ;). (I shoot Nikon DSLRs btw)

Have you been to a store and put hands on any of these?

That being said I have heard good things about the Panasonic. I bought my son a Canon had he is very happy with it and it makes me happy that he hasn't broken it ;). (I shoot Nikon DSLRs btw)

How does this help the OP decide on a camera?

Dominatly is correct, the D3x will outperform almost any Point and Shoot offered and the additional $$ is well worth it in the long run.

p!nK

Dominatly is correct, the D3x will outperform almost any Point and Shoot offered and the additional $$ is well worth it in the long run.

p!nK
Almost?

p!nK
Almost?

Sarcasm. :er:

p!nK

Thanks for all these suggestions guys but I think I need to be more precise.

First thing: budget. Tight. Only up to $300.

I'm looking for a compact mega zoom. I will want to carry my camera everywhere I go, so that if I find anything worth a shot wherever I am, then I'll just point and shoot. ;)

Yeah I forgot to mention night shots.

Optical zoom is important for me. In fact that's one of the major reasons why I want to get myself a camera. And that's why I've settled on the Sony and Panasonic. They offer optical zooms as from 10x at a reasonable price.

Most reactions

Back