advice on working with models?

devisaac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm not so much a beginner photographer, but i'm a beginner when it comes to working with people. i'm very awkward, i'm not good at telling people what to do, but i love portrait photography. does anyone have any tips on talking to models and making things less uncomfortable? i appreciate any advice i can get.

Get a book on posing. Hand it to your model. Take photo.

Read and learn the basics of posing theory (there's more to posing than just the poses); learn about WHY certain things are done, and then get a willing vict... helper and practice. That's really all it comes down to. Learning the theory and becoming comfortable with the idea of directing someone, and IMO, the best (and only) way to get good at it is practice. Bear in mind too, that every photographer has a different approach to this, and what works for me, and how I direct models is going to be different from how you do it; it's important to develop your own style and find out what works for you.

Critical points though... ALWAYS be professional. If you need to touch a model, ask them if you can, tell them you're going fix their hair (or whatever), when referring to parts of the body, use adult language. Breasts are breasts, not boobs, etc, etc.. maintain as much contact as you can. DO NOT hide behind your camera. If you talk to the model lower the camera and look at him/her.

Models who have been doing this for a while tend to be fairly good at their job. They will already be fairly comfortable in front of the camera... Know a thing or two about posing themselves and so on... If you are inexperienced just describe the look and feel you are going for and work collaboratively to reach it... You'll probably learn a lot about portraiture while you do

Newer models require more work. If the model is not experienced then you fall into the defacto position of teacher. You need to know about posing and how to direct them into it. You need to teach them about key lights and all that. Props help a lot... Gives models something to do with their hands. Giving them actions to do instead of poses to hold can often help them look more natural as long as those actions lead to usable body positioning...

Building rapport is incredibly important with most human subjects... But is especially important when you are working WITH someone to produce an image. So that means all the usual rapport building techniques are valuable.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

i'm not so much a beginner photographer, but i'm a beginner when it comes to working with people. i'm very awkward, i'm not good at telling people what to do, but i love portrait photography. does anyone have any tips on talking to models and making things less uncomfortable? i appreciate any advice i can get.
I don't think any models will feel uncomfortable if you are working for her best poses only. I am a Female so i have not faced this kind of issue ever while clicking photographs of models but i guess we are all professionals working so if it's work work some normal touches here and there are ok. But it should not be intentional because women's have that sixth sense in them to realize if the touch was deliberate or not :)

Most reactions

Back