Advice on Yonguo EX560-11 speedlite with Nikon D7000

tabbyart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just received my Yonguo EX560-11 speedlite to go with my Nikon D7000. Can someone tell me how I go about setting it up to work with my camera. I believe I need to go into a Commander mode on the camera where I configure the settings and that I don't need a trigger. I have little time before a photo class where speedlite photography will be taught. With only a day to go I need to be prepared before the class. The camera is also new so I'm experiencing a steep learning curve having previously owned a Canon 400D. I would be very grateful for any help and advise please as I often feel overwhelmed with technology speak.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is not a EX560-11 speedlight for Canon rather than Nikon cameras? I speculate that you should have bought a SB400/SB600/SB700/SB900/SB910 rather than what you did. these are fully compatible with the Nikon cameras.

From what I know, the 560 is a manual only flash and does not have any automatic features. It does however have almost infinite power variations so you can set it to any power level. It will also fire remotely from your built in flash. So you can use it as a second remote flash that will fire when your main flash fires. If you want TTL flash like your built in flash does, you need the 565 for Nikon. I personally intend to buy several of these to use with my D700 and set up a mini studio.

Last edited:
Hello,

The 560-II is a manual only flash. I believe there is a 560EX which is different than the original and the -II.

Check out this article - Yongnuo EX600 becomes YN-560EX; YN560 discontinued? - Lighting Rumours

"Get the YN-560 if you want “idiot lights” and basic manual control for a low price. Choose the YN560-II for extra features like an LCD screen and stroboscopic effects. Spend a bit more for the YN-560EX (aka EX600) that will work as a wireless slave in your Canon E-TTL or Nikon AWL infrared system. The YN-565EX is for people wanting TTL on-camera or those who are planning to invest in the new YN-622 radio E-TTL triggers."

I've read the series of events you have to do to get it work somewhere and it seemed silly. It was something like mount it, power up, fire it once, un couple it and begin using. But I am sorry that I cannot remember where I read that.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is not a EX560-11 speedlight for Canon rather than Nikon cameras? I speculate that you should have bought a SB400/SB600/SB700/SB900/SB910 rather than what you did. these are fully compatible with the Nikon cameras.
The EX560-11 is not brand specific as it does not address the Nikon's Creative Lighting System nor does it have any automatic functions, TTL or Sensor. It is a manual flash with fully adjustable output and built in optical trigger.
The 560EX is a odd little fellow. It can be triggered from your on camera flash in CMD mode and give you TTL metering, groups, etc. with either Nikon or Canon! It won't however, do TTL from the hot shoe, only manual. The 565EX does it all and is brand specific TTL from the hot shoe. It will also do TTL from either Nikon or Canon or both at the same time using the on camera flash or other commander flash. It has the same power as the SB910 but for $150.00 It does lack fast sync and commander mode but seems to do everything else. I just ordered one. We'll see how it does when it comes in. It gets great reviews.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back