advice please, Ice hockey photos

MADDOG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Anyone got any recomendations what speed to shoot at

I've got an Fuji S2 pro with a 70-200vr 2.8 Nikon Lens and will be taking photos in an arena, not sure whether to shoot at 800 or 1600

please advise :confused:

There is alot of reflective light off the ice, so be careful. I have shot some hockey with 400 speed film with decent results, so I would guess 800 would be good.

If you are more than 40 feet from your subject you're going to be able to get plenty of DOF with almost any aperture. It may be bright enough in an arena to shoot at lower ISOs at f/2.8. When you get there see what ISO you need to use for 1/250th (probably the minimum handheld shutter speed for your zoom) at f/2.8. Remember that your meter is telling you what exposure you need to get middle gray, so avoid metering off the white ice. If you have to meter off the ice, over expose 2 stops from the recommended exposure.

I shoot a LOT of professional and semi-pro hockey games (on average 15+ a season). My primary lens is a 70-200 f/2.8. I usually shoot at ISO 400 or 800 with shutter speeds anywhere from 1/250 to 1/500. I always shoot in shutter priority mode so that I know what I'm going to freeze, and let the camera figure out the aperture. I'll also make sure to slow the shutter speed down to 1/125 for some shots to either get a cool motion blur on a shot or check or will pan with the player skating by me to motion-blur the background--gives a great sense of speed. I've never run into too many problems with glass-reflection and even fewer with ice glare (even shooting injured players down on the ice), but you could always use a polarizer to help with that. The only time I've run into any real reflection or glare problems is when I'm out on the ice itself during intermission activities--just have to remember to up the shutter speed or just shot in program mode for those shots.

Also, depending on the quality and amount of the lighting, be prepared to adjust on the fly. I shoot in one arena that's 100+ years old, and the color temp of the various lights is horrendous. I always have to adjust my white balance, and also up to ISO 800 or slow the shutter down. I also shoot in an NHL-caliber arena, and the lighting there is fantastic. (Ironically enough though, the glass in the newer arena is horribly scratched up...it's hard to find a clear spot to shoot through. :irked: )

Thanks guys

Wish I had a chance to read you posts before the games on the weekend
I was sitting in the stands behind the bench and decided to shoot on 1600, hence I am not happy with my pictures. most pictures are all to noisey.

great shots though, pitty they aren't clearer

well I know for next time, well thats it for the hockey season in the UK

It was the Playoff weekend for the elite league Playoffs.

There were a few NHL Players playing in the teams
Wade Belak (Maple Leafs/Coventry Blaze)
Boynton (Bruins/ Nottingham Panthers)
Davison (?????/Cardiff Devils)
and a few other guys that I can't say there names never mind spell them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back