Advice Please on studio lighting...

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think that I've figured out a way to allow me to invest in a few more studio lights/strobes/flashes...

But I need some advice from those who have more experience using strobes...

As I don't have much experience and/or knowledge in the studio lighting arena... I am debating whether I should invest in a couple of the Alien Bees 800s or the Canon Speedlight 580 EX II, or is there another option in the same price range I should consider???

As I stated, I don't know enough about this stuff to justify spending this kind of money without doing some research and I don't want to waste my money...

I went of a recomendation and bought the Flashpoint 320M from Adorama, seems like a good way to get started for not a lot of money, good reviews too.

I went of a recomendation and bought the Flashpoint 320M from Adorama, seems like a good way to get started for not a lot of money, good reviews too.

I did the same, and am very pleased.

After reading the customer comment/reviews for the 620 model... I am a bit wary...

If you have any specific queries or concerns, I can put you in touch with our in-house Flashpoint expert.

There are some interesting short videos and articles here that might help you:

Setting up simple studio lighting ? Adorama TV from Adorama Learning Center

Assembling A Small Location Lighting Kit from Adorama Learning Center

Wireless flash backlighting basics from Adorama Learning Center

Portable Flash Light Modifiers from Adorama Learning Center

Let me Know if I can help with anything else!

♫[FONT=&quot]★[/FONT]Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year [FONT=&quot]★[/FONT]♫

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]

Last edited:
I have qthe 320 as well as the two budget monolites. I use the 320 as the key light ... It came w soft box and stand for 144.00 ... One mono light as fill and the other mono as backdrop or hair light. All for 344.00 included umbrellas and stands for all.

Budget? Used professional gear for a fraction of the price is nice. I have a 1200w/s pack and a 400w/s pack that I got for super cheap on ebay. There's newer 2400w/s packs going for under $600. Got power?

As low as possible...

I would like to stay in the $500 range WITH a background stand... I know its not a lot. But I think it is reasonable to start with.

At this time, after all the research I am doing... I think that small non-dedicated flash units (Vivitar or similar) might be the way to go to get started.

Still haven't made a decision... So any other suggestions are still welcome. :)

As low as possible...

I would like to stay in the $500 range WITH a background stand... I know its not a lot. But I think it is reasonable to start with.

At this time, after all the research I am doing... I think that small non-dedicated flash units (Vivitar or similar) might be the way to go to get started.

Still haven't made a decision... So any other suggestions are still welcome. :)

Not for studio photography. If you're shooting indoors where power is easy to get too, then small speedlights are not a great option. Their slow recycle time and reliance on batteries make them something I would consider a backup.

I am in the same boat. I have no idea how to get started and what items to purchase.

I am in the same boat. I have no idea how to get started and what items to purchase.

This article is just for you!

Beginner from Adorama Learning Center

It will ease you in gently, and point you towards step-by-step guides to buying and using all the equipment you need. Best of all, it's all absolutely free :D

There are also loads of bite-size videos by Mark Wallace of Snap Factory, here:

Adorama TV from Adorama Learning Center

If you have specific queries that you'd like me to put to our panel of experts, just let me know.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]

♫[FONT=&quot]★[/FONT]Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year [FONT=&quot]★[/FONT]♫

Most reactions

New Topics

Back