Advice Please!

stooges3tx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am very new to SLR picture taking. I have a Nikon D60 with the 18-55mm lens. I am a very active saltwater fish/coral aquarist. I want to learn how to take pictures of corals in great detail. I would appreciate any suggestions for a lens. I have it in my head that I need a macro lens to get in as far as I want. Also, I need a tripod. Know where I can get one??

Thanks for any advice peeps!

Underwater camera housing?
Im confused on the tripod unless you're going to be out of the water shooting in...
But then again im not familiar with underwater photography. lol

I just want to take pics really close to the glass out of the water on a tripod. no housing needed.

I just want to take pics really close to the glass out of the water on a tripod. no housing needed.

Ohhhhh okay. I figured in nature.
Make sure to be at an angle to the glass when taking the picture.
And posibly a polarizing filter to reduce reflections from the glass and the water.
A good monopod or tripod will definately help you in low light conditions.
Most will recommend a Manfrotto.

Last edited:
A polarizing filter will help to reduce glare off the glass walls of the aquarium and render the colors a bit better.

As for what kind of lens, you want a lens that has close focusing distance. If you want macro shots, get a macro.

Thanks Pugs! that is exactly what I need. I want a macro lens but what kind? I will also look into a polarizing filter... I have no clue what that is.. lol. Basically a model number macro for a nikon D60 that will yield really good pictures from a noob like me! lol

Budget? The 105mm f/2.8 is great.
TJ

Budget? The 105mm f/2.8 is great.
TJ

This will not autofocus on his D60 (I don't believe... I've been wrong before and will be wrong again), so as long as the OP is willing to manually focus, it is a great choice!

Maybe, Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 ED

This one will autofocus on the D60 and will give 1:1 macro shots so could also be a great choice.

No clue what a CPOS is but I do need an auto focus lens for my D60. I know there isn't a huge variety for my camera but I wanna take some very fine detailed shots in close. What is the best lens for that for a D60?

Does he want a CPOS, or maybe a TPOS?

Either one would require some special high intensity training if OP has to ask where to get a tripod. Obviously you get one at a tripod store.

Everybody knows that.

Yes, I know it was a funny question but with anything that is considered an art form you never know what is not common knowledge. I appreciate the advice fellas and I will wait for you all to post on my aquarium forums with some nooby questions. Then we shall see who :lmao:. :)

Most reactions

Back