advice please!

sanz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi again....

I mentioned in a previous message that I am doing some portrait type shots our our team for my boss. Anyone have any pointers for me or anywhere I can go for some useful info on posing subjects etc. I can't take things like backdrops in with me so I am going to have to do what I can with a board room, some natural light, a chair and a team of pretty reasonable looking people! ;)

any advice would be appreciated!

thanks

If itis formal you could form them into a triangle (Boss at the Back Seniors next Juniors to the front) you can then stand on the chair and take the image including the board room as a backdrop.
Less formally you could do individual happy head shots (About 45 degrees on). when posted/mounted the "team" could be facing say left. And the big boss faceing them from the left to the Right. A kind of "Father" figure approach. Depends on the size of the "team" But if you look at some family portraits on offer commercially they could give you some less formal, more atmospheric Ideas.

HI there

Thanks so much for your reply... I ended up doing individual shots - shoulders and up and had each pose in a 'true to personality' pose. My boss unfortuantely was called to a family emergency from which he will not return in a hurry so he was not included (this time anyway) We did a few more coroporate looking pictures and took some bloopers that, when put together, will create quite the scene!

The highlight of the day was that everyone (even the fussiest of them) was thrilled with their picture. I'm about to download them all and have a really good look but from what I could see today - they'll be great.

I havent read your profile but are you a proff or do it simply for enjoyment? reason I ask is that I want to develop my skills more (maybe even into proff one day) and I'm interested to know if anyone has suggestion on how to do that - projects etc.? I did have an idea for a project that I could potentially publish one day. A coffee table book of New Zealand - but real New Zealand - landscapes but also locals simply living life - beauties that you would only know if you were local. Trees with ancient 'I love you's' engraved etc. ... Just a thought!

Hi Sanz.

Glad it all went well for you. Nothing beats the buzz you get when a project works out !!
These days I only snap for pleasure. If you wish to develope your skills there are two main avenues to follow.
1). FORMAL:
Courses are provided for these things and are often to be found in good quality photographic mags. Get in touch with the advertiser first, and discuss what you want out of the course. Ask for references and when you have them, chase them up. (Any one who refuses to provide references should be treated with a certain amount of suspicion).
There will probably be some kind of government sponsored education scheme as well. These are usually found advertised in local centerers and government buildings.
Ringing around some local COMMERCIAL photographers, and asking if they would let you assist would also be a good way to start out.

Then there is the "Home Grown Approach". Look at publications which deal with the sort of thing you want to photograph. and at first just try to copy the illustrations which you see (don't be put off by failure, These people have years of pro experience and huge budgets. It is important that you capture the feel and learn the problems that they face). After a while you find yourself trying things that are from the back of your own mind.

Good luck, Don't forget to have fun while you are doing all this/ And remember that there is always someone available on this forum. And the only reason we are here is that we love it...

hi

thanks for that, I dont think I'll have time for a course (3 kids and a full time job keeps me fairly busy!) but I love the idea of trying to copy some of the photo's I see in mags. I've often wondered how certain shots are created, great way for me to find out for myself!

I'll keep you posted with how I go! how long have you been into photography by the way?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back