Advice required on camera to use for video podcasting

justinroffmarsh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there

I've been considering the Lumix GH3, but I wonder if there is a cheaper solution that will fit my requirements -- appreciate any advice!

Here's what I'm looking for.

I want to mount the camera about three feet in front of me (the subject), with a greenscreen about three feet behind me.

I figure a SLR (rather than a webcam) will allow me to blur the backdrop -- which is good for chroma keying. I'd also like a camera that takes a better quality photo than a webcam.

Additional requirements are:

1. Output video feed to hdmi
2. Ability to shoot at 1280x720 resolution
3. Ability to shoot unlimited video (say, up to 1.5 hours)
4. Ability to adjust camera settings remotely (via PC or tablet) -- very desirable but not critical

From my research, I'm figuring that the Lumix GH3 with a 14-140 lens will give me the result I'm looking for -- and tick all the boxes above.

But I'm wondering if I can achieve the same thing cheaper?

Ultimately, I'm shooting HD web video, not making movies, so I don't want to buy the very best if it's not necessary.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Justin

Thank you Keith

Unfortunately the size of my office doesn't allow a greater distance than that.

The YouTube video shows where I'm at currently. This is a quick-and-dirty proof of concept using my webcam -- without a lot of tinkering with lighting.

I'm aware I can't get something that's tv quality, but I'm looking for incremental improvements. I figured a proper camera would give me more flexibility than a webcam.

After further research, I'm seriously considering the Lumix LX-7.

I don't need a mic-in. Appreciate any ideas.

And I intend to read your site, btw!

Justin

Sorry, here's the YouTube video

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Justin - Unfortunately, the LX-7 doesn't have live HDMI out. its tiny sensor won't give you the depth of field control you need to blur your background and it doesn't have wi-fi for tablet/smartphone remote control.

There are, however, several options for reasonable priced large sensor chromakey with live HDMI out.

1. To meet all of your requirements, I recommend the GH3 (which is on sale right now) with the $199 19mm and 30mm Sigma f2.8 lenses. I'm guessing that the 30mm focal length is going to be too long for the size of your office, but the only way to know for sure is to try it. I would try both of them and send the one back that you don't need.

That said, there are a couple of other options that will give you everything on your list except the ability to adjust camera settings remotely, the Sony VG10 camcorder and the Panasonic GH2. These cameras are no longer in production, so you would have to buy them used.

2. You can pick up a used Sony VG10 camcorder body for less than $700 plus a $199 Sigma 30mm lens for E mount for less than the price of a GH3 body. This camera will give you a decent key and will record for hours. It has no wi-fi external control.

3. Alternatively, you may want to consider a used GH2 body for less than $600 - plus the Sigma lenses listed above for the GH3. This camera will give you a solid key and will record for 1.5+ hours straight - but it doesn't have tablet/PC external control either.

I have shot green screen with the GH2 and GH3 - and I have also shot with the VG10's newer sibling, the VG20. Any of the three cameras will do the job you need them to do.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That is excellent advice, Bill, thank you.

Seems to me I'm better-off springing for the GH-3. Of course, that's the camera I'd rather have anyway!

Justin

One more question Bill (or others)

You suggest two Sigma prime lenses.

Would it be a reasonable option to instead purchase a zoom? Maybe the Sigma 18-50?

Justin

One more question Bill (or others)

You suggest two Sigma prime lenses.

Would it be a reasonable option to instead purchase a zoom? Maybe the Sigma 18-50?

Justin

Hi Justin - Congratulations on finding this classic lens for such a good price. I have the Sigma 18-50mm constant f2.8, and it's a terrific lens - but you should be aware that it was designed for classic 4/3 mount cameras - not micro 4/3.

The old 4/3 format was Panasonic/Olympus' first foray into digital interchangeable lens photography. A little over a decade ago, they introduced a whole line of relatively small DSLR cameras with 4/3" sensors that were pretty decent - but Canon and Nikon absolutely crushed them in the marketplace (partly because the sensor was smaller than APS-C).

So they came up with the idea of taking the mirror out of the camera to make their cameras even smaller and lighter, and, about 5 years ago, micro 4/3 was born. Sadly, that meant changing the distance from the lens flange to the sensor - so the lens mount had to change. That's why you need an adapter (like this fairly expensive Panasonic DMW-MA1) to mount classic 4/3 lenses on micro 4/3 cameras.

With the MA-1 adapter, most 4/3 lenses are fully compatible with micro 4/3 cameras - but their autofocus motors are noticeably slower and noisier than modern micro 4/3 glass - and most of them lack O.I.S. (lens stabilization).

They are also generally larger and heavier than micro 4/3 lenses. Here is my Sigma 18-50mm constant f2.8 (without the adapter) side-by-side with a Panasonic 12-35mm constant f2.8 for micro 4/3 (rented from borrowlenses.com so I could compare the two lenses):

$P1120065.JPG

And here it is on my GH3:

$P1120072.JPG

Here is a photo taken with the Sigma 18-50 2.8:

$P1020336.JPG

Here is the same photo taken with the Panasonic 12-35 2.8:

$P1020337.JPG

BOTTOM LINE: if you can afford the adapter*; if you are willing to put up with a relatively large, heavy lens; and if you don't mind slow, noisy autofocus - this is a great lens, and it produces image quality comparable to the much more expensive 12-35mm constant 2.8 from Panasonic.

I do like this lens, and I recommend it - as long as you know what you're getting into. If you want it, you should jump on that Amazon deal - these lenses are hard to come by.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

* you can get a less expensive third party adapter - but I don't have any first-hand experience with them

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back