Advice, Small in-house studio (for menswear store)

I kind of disagree, the whole concept is to create an image that makes the garments feel more real, not looking for a completely polished image.
Well, there is always location shoots as a possibility, but then again you would still need additional lighting.

Do you have room in your retail floor space where you could setup for shoots after hours? It might be a PITA in the short term until you can find a dedicated space, but it is a thought.

Ok guys, sorry to revive a bit of an old thread, but I have been busy and not really had time to dedicate. There has been a slight change in terms of how we would like our images to look like now anyways.

Pullover Shirt - You Must Create (YMC)

If any of you people could point us in the right direction in order to achieve something similar to this I would be very grateful, and please remember we have very limited space, and only the very basic equipment right now, as well as not having the best knowledge or ability. The ideal aim is to be able to shoot an image that will need little, if not any touching up when we come to upload it to our site, saving us valuable time.

Last edited:
Ok guys, sorry to revive a bit of an old thread, but I have been busy and not really had time to dedicate. There has been a slight change in terms of how we would like our images to look like now anyways.

Pullover Shirt - You Must Create (YMC)

If any of you people could point us in the right direction in order to achieve something similar to this I would be very grateful, and please remember we have very limited space, and only the very basic equipment right now, as well as not having the best knowledge or ability. The ideal aim is to be able to shoot an image that will need little, if not any touching up when we come to upload it to our site, saving us valuable time.

Where about's are you based ? is your store YMC

There are so many different ways of doing this. I sincerly hope you are looking for better quality than the example link you just posted, that's just a nasty brownish look to everything that's not pleasing at all, the result of poor lighting and no effort put into it. The image needs to pop to help sell your product.

YouTube is your friend....... type in "product photography lighting" and get lots of ideas that you can see on which way to go. Finding a spot on a wall to hang a paper backdrop roll and then work from there would be good, then you can re-roll the paper and change the colors if you want without much expense.

Lots of good tips here too.... http://www.prophotolife.com/video-library/

Last edited:
I couldn't really disagree with you more, its fine if the smooth brown look isnt to your taste, but I myself feel it actually adds. I fear you would have my product images looking like every other catalogue/high-street store, and YMC would also disagree seeing as they are one of the most successful brands that sit on that fine edge of being commercial whilst also attracting the non-conformers.

I also like the way its lit, could just be me though :D

I basically just want some tips on the space I will need, for example we have maybe a 4 x 5M space right now which could be adapted (which I gather is probably way to small, but I think we could get something from it). We do have two very basic stand alone adjustable lights, is this workable guys? and what else would I need.

Everyone has their own tastes. I will say at least their color and presentation is consistent across their line up.

It seems pretty hard though to tell what colors things reall are when they are all tinted, it could result in unexpected returns because the item they receive is not what they thought it would look like. But then I'm a photographer, not a clothing marketer. ;)

Most reactions

Back