Advice: Thinking About a Fixed f1.8 or f1.4

H4X1MA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Camera D3100

So I'm thinking of getting a fixed lens, probably 50mm unless someone tells me a reason to gets less/more. I dabble in a little of everything, but so a lot of night shots, which I don't have a fast enough lens for, and a lot of close ups with a shallow DOF. I just bought extension tubes, but the only lens that I can really use them with is the kit lens, so I figure it would also get used with tubes.

Anyone have any advice? Does the 1.4 make a big difference over a 1.8? 50mm or 35mm?

This is on a budget, so be gentle. Preferred in the $200-300 (or less) range, but may go higher if there's some "I NEED" factor. AF a must.

Both the f/1.4 and the f/1.8 Nikkor 50mm G-series lenses will autofocus and shoot great pictures on your D3100. In a word, NO, the difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8 is NOT a big or important real-world difference. I understand that AF is a must, so the G-series 50mm is a good choice. I bought the 50/1.8 G last summer...decent lens...an update to a pair of 50mm 1.8 AF models...the G-series is a better performer than the AF models were. And the weird thing--according to several reviews I read before buying, the 50 1.8 G focuses a lot faster than the 1.4 G-series model, which is counterintuitive.

The 35mm f/1.8 G is a DX-only design, and is priced at around $199 new. I do not own one. For use on extension tubes, I think a 50mm would be better. But, on the other hand, the 35mm would have a wider angle of view, and that might be better for night shots, at least the way I think of things.

If you are on a budget, the 50mm 1.8 is the best bang for the buck, and a GREAT lens, I think everyone that shoots should own one. I have shot with both a 1.8. and also, the 1.4. . . just to reinforce what Derrel has contributed, the difference between the 1.8 and 1.4 is negligible. The 35mm is equally as nice and IMHO, a must have lense. Also, like the 50mm, they are really affordable and produce some very sharp images and great, dreamy bokeh and DOF when wanted. My 35mm stays on my back up body.

I have done a lot of shooting with both the 50 and 35 on extension tubes, with the 50mm being my prefered choice (besides my 28-90 w/Macro). If you would like some examples, feel free to check 'em out HERE.

If you are on a budget, the 50mm 1.8 is the best bang for the buck, and a GREAT lens, I think everyone that shoots should own one. I have shot with both a 1.8. and also, the 1.4. . . just to reinforce what Derrel has contributed, the difference between the 1.8 and 1.4 is negligible. The 35mm is equally as nice and IMHO, a must have lense. Also, like the 50mm, they are really affordable and produce some very sharp images and great, dreamy bokeh and DOF when wanted. My 35mm stays on my back up body.

I have done a lot of shooting with both the 50 and 35 on extension tubes, with the 50mm being my prefered choice (besides my 28-90 w/Macro). If you would like some examples, feel free to check 'em out HERE.

TAT, how can I tell the 35mm from the 50mm? Most of the exif says 92mm, which I am guessing is the lens plus tubes.

I'm leaning towards the 1.4 just because I don't want a reason to hate myself later for not getting the step up. However, the 35mm in the 1.4 range seem to be crazy expensive compared to the 50mm. I should just go with the 50mm 1.8 and get some lighting if I'm going to spend that kind of money. New stuff always gives me a headache lol.

Last edited:
nvm, Did exactly what I said and went with the 35mm 1.8 and an SB-400 since I really need a speedlight.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Get the 50mm 1.8G, fantastic camera for little price.
It is kind of the do it all prime lens.
Its great for night photography, good (not perfect) for portraits, very sharp.
I use mine a lot.
Dot bother with the 50mm 1.4, in reviews they say the 1.8 is actually sharper and of course considerably cheapper then the 1.4

Most reactions

New Topics

Back