advice!!

So do you have a lens currently????

nope i got the body first. and i wanted to shop around for a lens after.i have used the d300 a few times and loved it so i knew it was the camera for me.

I admire Paul for getting what he wanted instead of only what he "needed". I have done that too many times, and still wound up getting what I should have in the first place. Paul, just be aware, and DSLR has a learning curve. I went from film to a DSLR in 1999. There were no forums like this one to ask questions on. And, you seem to have a good feel for digital. I'm sure you will do fine. Don't let us discourage you, feel free to ask what you need to. Someone here will lend a hand.

BTW Paul. The 50mm will do great for band shots as it has a large max. aperture. Take a look at the pbase page linked in my sig for an idea what you can do with bands. Look in the "Live Bands" folder. The newest was shot at ISO 3200 on a D3.

BTW Paul. The 50mm will do great for band shots as it has a large max. aperture. Take a look at the pbase page linked in my sig for an idea what you can do with bands. Look in the "Live Bands" folder. The newest was shot at ISO 3200 on a D3.

awesome!! yeah i have made up my mind now.it is the 50mm f/1.4 for me.

any other suggestions on other stuff i would need since i am going to have about $201.09 left? i am getting a camera bag, an 8 gig sansdisk iv compact flash,nikon micro fiber lens cleaner,and the 50mm lens. that all amounts to 548.91 with taxes.so any suggestions on what to do with the rest. lol

Save up for more decent lenses with the money you have left.

Save up for more decent lenses with the money you have left.

good plan :thumbup:.sorry for being so newb like with this.on the yoyo forum guys normally get flamed for stuff like this,so i appreciate all you guys kindness.

I don't think anyone was discouraging the guy - just that if I were suggesting a camera, the D80 would be all the camera he might need for awhile. But hell if hes got the cash - go crazy I say.

As for literature on lenses - in regards to what, reviews or what you should know? Really all one needs to "know" about them you learn from using a camera - aperture, focal length, etc.

As for reviews on them PBase and FredMiranda.com are great places to start.

I don't think anyone was discouraging the guy - just that if I were suggesting a camera, the D80 would be all the camera he might need for awhile. But hell if hes got the cash - go crazy I say.

As for literature on lenses - in regards to what, reviews or what you should know? Really all one needs to "know" about them you learn from using a camera - aperture, focal length, etc.

As for reviews on them PBase and FredMiranda.com are great places to start.

thanks i am going to check out thoses sites now.

I see you plan on a 8 gig CF card. In other threads this has been debated. But it is my opinion that 2-3 smaller cards are better that one big card. If the big card fails, you loose everything. Not so with smaller cards. I currently work on 6 2 gig CF's, but that is simply my preference and reasoning.

I see you plan on a 8 gig CF card. In other threads this has been debated. But it is my opinion that 2-3 smaller cards are better that one big card. If the big card fails, you loose everything. Not so with smaller cards. I currently work on 6 2 gig CF's, but that is simply my preference and reasoning.

i plan on getting the 8 gig sandisk iv series doesn't that have data recovery?

but yeah i was contemplating a few smaller cards.

I like having several smaller cards. It helps me sort and organize my work especially when I'm covering multiple subjects.

Damn 6 cards?

I dunno - I always figured the multiple card people were the ones who were specifically working on jobs or whatnot; as that is the only situation I can see where that is needed. In any other case, images aren't sitting on the card for that long, so I've never worried about it. Plus, I can't image the failure rate for these cards is so high that I would invest in 6 at any one time.

We carry 6 2 gig, 4 1 gig cards in a wallet. (cheaper and more dependable than an image bank or whatever) We typically have 2 bodies in a pelican 1600 case. With 2 D1X's, a D3 and a D300 we have choices. What can I say.

Most reactions

Back