Advice

rjackjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am Planning a trip to Belize within the commng months. I want to photograph, as much landscape scenery. ie waterfalls, Mayan ruins and stuff. I plan to use the various tours they have available and I know you wont have much time to photograph so it will be like a hot or miss shot.

Would you have any any recommadtions if should take these tours or rent a car and visit the area by myself?

I am not sure where is a good place to post this thread.

I would apprecaiete any help or advice.

I don't really know anything about Belize, but assuming it's not a "dangerous" area where you can get lost, eaten by wild animals, or otherwise seriously harmed, I'd say do a mixture of both. Take the tours for the educational impact of it, and take a car and go by yourself for the photography. I know if I was in your position, I'd rather do it by myself than with a big group and a schedule to follow.

With landscapes in mind; Pretty much the same as BTilson said. Take the tours to see the layout of the land. While touring take as little equipment as you can- be mobile. Tours can/will be frought with tourist cocooning (I wear a really dirty shirt if I'm in a mood :) ). Don't just look at the pretty stuff if you plan to go back. Look at access, parking, etc. The pretty stuff too, but try to visualize the lighting/shadows, the scenes you'd like to shoot. If you can go back by yourself later, that's the time to really get into your shooting. Take everything you need to get the best shot you can. Remember when planning your shots and locations, you can only be in one place during sunrise or sunset, be there and make the most of it- don't plan to drive a distance and miss a second of light. Get there well in advance of the light, and stay until the light is gone. Hard work.

Studying up on the area is most helpful. Knowing what and where the spots you are interested in, in advance will save a lot of frustration. Finding out as much detail on tours is important. Does the tour go where you want to? Ending up with the blue-haired ladies on a crazed bingo run has the potential to screw up your head for days. Maps, and plenty of them, are critical. Memorize them if you can.

Plan your work, then work your plan. Don't rush yourself, be ready to skip what you have to to keep from getting frantic and blowing it. You you mess something up, take a break, regroup and move on. Always have a backup in mind. If you can't make it to one place in a civilized manner (road rage) have an alternative ready. It's all about the light and being where you need to be to capture it at your best.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Rjack, I'm glad you asked. I have no advice to offer but I learned from what others said.

My son recently went to Belize on a Mission trip. I had the 33 people on the trip shoot LOTS of photos (not photog stuff, but your typical novice shooter stuff). I have created a DVD of the Mission Trip I'm showing at the Church tonight. It's amazing... the timing of your question.

Of all the shots, the people were very interesting to me. The kids are precious.

I went to Mexico last summer and went off on my own a few times (without the wife) and got some very cool shots of local villages and the people. I'm jealous of your trip.

Good luck and make sure to post when you return.

Be sure to post the results whatever you decide to do! I wanna some R Jack photos of Belize! :thumbup:

Reading up on the place is a great idea. Do some google searches for other people's trip pictures to give you an idea of what you are going to be visiting.

Preperation is key to any travel. Check out some travel websites and post there to see if they can give you hints and tips of what to shoot and what not to, times of day and so on.

In terms of gear, think about what type of pictures you want to take. If you are going to do some landscapes and night time cityscapes, might want to think of a tripod.

There are lots of nature things to visit there, many caverns to investigate. Might want to look into getting the right gear to take those pictures.

Most of all, have a great trip and post up the pictures!!!

Thanx guys for the tips and suggestions. I have been reading up alot of the country and stuff I want to see. So once I get the time off and vacation money I be on my way hopefully I go this Dec or in Feb. I know I plan to take my gear on the signature block but maybe I should get a second body so I dont be switchin lens and getting dust inside.

I will post pictures when i do visit hopefully soon.

Most reactions

Back