Advice

Unoocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, im using a Nikon D3200. I have an upcoming wedding in a couple weeks, with unique circumstances. It will be shot at a local zoo, in the evening being lit by christmas lights. I visted the venue last weekend with my camera to get a practice session in. I am having a terrible time with lighting. Ive never done a session like this and was hoping to get some of your expert advice =) any suggestions are more than welcome. Lenses, iso, shutter speed etc. Thanks so much!

Given your camera and what I presume is the usual 'kit' lens(es), I think you're walking into a very difficult shooting situation. The low light issues as well as trying to get the colored lights 'right' and the subjects properly lit is a challenge for any photographer...even with high-end equipment.

In short, you will be 'fighting' the exposure triangle (aperture size (f-stop), shutter speed, and ISO speed) to get every shot. Every trade off will have positive and negative effects, sometimes making the results unusable. To get enough light, you'll need an external flash or flashes, but that will wash out the colored lights. To get the lights right, the flash(es) have to be toned-down to only light the subjects faces. Without a strong flash, the ISO speed will be high enough to cause noise problems, or, the shutter speed so slow that subject and/or camera movement become problems.

I think I'd go with a tripod and take a shot of the lights without the subjects, then, without moving the camera, take a shot of the subjects, properly lit, then combine them during post processing. Alternatively, try some HDR in the camera to combine various lighting level shots.

In short, I think you are 'way over your head' to be shooting a wedding, any wedding. And doing evening, outdoor shots lit by Christmas lights, you're in wayyyyy over your head.

In short, I think you are 'way over your head' to be shooting a wedding, any wedding. And doing evening, outdoor shots lit by Christmas lights, you're in wayyyyy over your head.

Totally agree. I would suggest renting a second body and lens for the event and using your's as the backup. Preferably renting a FF camera and say a 24-70mm f/2.8 or even a 50mm f/1.4 or 1.8.

I have an upcoming wedding in a couple weeks, with unique circumstances. It will be shot at a local zoo...
wedding at the local zoo? A catchy title for a novel! I didn't even know something like this was possible, won't the animals be disturbed?

Very honestly though, if you're being paid for the event don't take a risk like this; wedding is a big event and some experience(with good gears) is definitely required to properly conduct an event like this. Although it's a different matter if you're just helping out a friend. The rest of it is already covered by Ronlane and bratkinson, I hope it goes well for you! :)

My advice is to quickly have the Bride and Groom find someone with lots of experience shoot the wedding.

Better keep your flashes on low power to maintain the festive atmosphere.

Take a few test shots. both with modifiers and without.

My advice is to quickly have the Bride and Groom find someone with lots of experience shoot the wedding.
Without meaning to be rude, this really is the best advice of all. This sounds like a very complex and challenging situation, and while we like to say that a good photographer can make a good photography with any gear, the reality is, that just isn't always true. This is one of those cases where gear matters. A lot. You're going to need a body which works well at extreme ISO (12,500 and above), you're going to need fast glass (2.8 or better), you're going to need lighting equipment, and you're going to need to know how to use it all.

I have all of the above, along with a LOT of experience, but this is one that would have me thinking, I can tell you! There is also the question of what the zoo will allow; have you discussed this with management? Talked to them about having the public kept out of certain areas that will be used for the ceremony? Formals? What are you allowed to bring in and use as far as light stands, modifiers, etc. This sounds like an out-door event; what's your inclement weather plan?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back