Advice

yvonk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nikon-D40-D-40-D...097785327QQcategoryZ43456QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd like to know what y'all think about this deal, is it good or not? Is the lense that comes with the D40 good or not so much? I mean, for me it's gonna be my first dSLR camera so I might not notice it.

Also, I'll be doing a lot of landscapes pictures with it so would it be better to get something like this with a wide lense?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nikon-D40-Digita...097773388QQcategoryZ43456QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The thing is that my budget is around 700$(shipping included) CAD. But oh well, if the second choice will really makes a difference I'll take it... But I'd like some advices first.

Thanks for the help.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i wouldnt even touch the second one. The wide angel converter lens is sure to just lower the quality of the image, and the generic flash could cause some serious problems.

If you are going to buy on ebay the first link is better, and the 18mm side of the kit lens will be fine for landscapes.

I would think seriously of trying to put together a body with the 18-70 Nikkor which is a great lens.

You won't regret the few extra dollars.

The 18-70mm would most likely outclass the D40. If you are considering in the future upgrading to something beastier like a D200 (or D400 by the time upgrades actually happen :) ) then the 18-70mm AF-S lens would be a very good idea to add to your collection.

Out of curiosity, can a dSLR camera be under the rain and I'll still be able to take pictures?

Out of curiosity, can a dSLR camera be under the rain and I'll still be able to take pictures?

yes, but without a sealed body it is recommended to cover it, either a plastic bag, shower cap, umbrella... anything that keeps water off of it. The D40 is not a sealed camera and so water can leak into the body and cause problems.

You're better off keeping it covered either way.

Thanks for the help, but here's another question for y'all.

Well, I don't know if I'm going paranoid with all that dSLR camera stuff... but anyways.

I went to a local store today, and tried a few cameras to see which one felt the best in my hands. Right now, I'm looking for some models around 800$ maximum.. so I tested the Canon XT & Nikon D40. The D40 felt much better, and less "plastic".

Okay, I asked several question to the guy about those two cameras.. and at the end I asked him what he thought about the D40's lens that comes with it. He said, eventually you'll have to replace it... I asked him which camera would you recommend me for landscapes picture, and he told me the Canon XTi, but the price was 1000$. He said, we sell other lenses for the Nikon but they're around 200-300.

Now, I'm back at the start case and don't know which camera to go with.
My question to y'all would be- do you think the D40 will do a good job for me? Is the lens that bad or? As it will be my first dSLR, I might not notice the difference of lenses between the D40 & XTi. In other words, should I worry that much about all that, or I'll get a good experience with the D40...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back