Advise for Camera off Ebay.

gsxturbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm pretty new to the SLR scene. I've been looking for a Nikon D90 and on ebay you can get $200 off for using the Live.com cash back and then an addl $100 off by using a 10% off coupon.

My question is, has anyone had any luck with any of the sellers on ebay. Most of them have really good feedback. Really all I want is the Camera and Lens. I see most sellers have these huge packages with a bunch of other crap. I want to keep the bill under $1100 before the discounts.

Any insight would be awesome!

I have bought 23 things so far on eBay. Not a lot. I've had mostly good experiences, but I've never purchased something more than around $100 off of eBay.

Most of the bundles on eBay are garbage. I would stick with a reputable retailer like Amazon, Adorama, etc.

i bought a d40 a few months ago off ebay with a 17-55 lense and received it fine... so my experience went well.. i think generally they go well but i am not sure. I would say check the feedback (which you did) and then make sure that they offer a refund if the item does not work. that is my advice =)

I think in general, from what i hear, 95% of eBay experiences are positive. I've never had a bad experience with a seller but I know that there can be dishonest sellers out there. Feedback is very important. Also, if you pay with PayPal, there is buyer protection. You can file a claim if you 1) did not receive the item or 2) item is significantly different from described. As long as you follow their rules, PayPal tend to favor on the buyer's side and you will get your money back.

I have gotten some bad stuff from E-bay but it generally came with some good to balence the experience.

I bought a Canon AE-1 with Canon FD 100-200 zoom - 72.50 - The camera was totaled, all mechanical opperation damaged in some way and some external decay - the lens on it with a little cleaning is well worth the money I spent on it, I don't regret it

I bought a Canon Canoscan 2710 - under $200 (MSRP 1199), Scanner and all components where completely unused, but the driver software disk was busted. The seller claimed to have been unaware of that detail but... I downloaded the software and I will never go back to flatbed scanning.

I bought a Canon EF SLR with Canon FD 28mm lens - 152.50 - the cameras eletronics where completely shot, Haven't made up my mind on this one yet, unlike a D90 this camera will work with out the electronics and is the same model as my primary camera, it is also cosmedically and mechanically imacculate. Lens is fine, protective filter on the lens was fungus ridden making me question the lens it self but inspection reviels no mould in the lens so. Depends the repair bill for the electronics as to my satisfaction on that one.

Of all my truly positive experiences...none of them where camera related, but I don't let that deterr me from browsing E-bay for Photogear. Also I have noticed Adorama often has items listed start bid cheaper on E-bay than they have them listed on their site.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still throwing around whether I want to do it or not. It's hard to pass on $300 worth of paypal and live.com savings.

I bought my first DSLR on ebay last weekend. I bought a used AE-1 with lenses as well on ebay ($125 if memory serves). I've got almost 100 feedback (well over 100 with the multiples) and I've only had one bad experience and it was as a seller. Person used his "girlfriends" account and then turned around and got the charge back because Paypal (indirectly eBay) sucks. I don't sell a whole lot.

If you are dropping a large amount ($400 is a large amount but I still did it anyway) no matter what you do, use Visa or Amex through Paypal. That way if something goes wrong, you can always call your CC and have them charge back the amount. Its quite common and more than likely, the rep on the phone will say "Paypal... no problem". I put my camera on Visa and have their number handy if the camera I bought isn't up to par.

-JD-

As has been mentioned, don't pay any extra for all the bundled stuff...they just throw in a bunch of crap. I got my camera on Ebay from Cameta Cameras and had absolutely no trouble at all. I actually ended up calling their store in NYC rather than actually bidding on ebay, but they were pretty helpful. I did get a bundle, but things I wanted (body, 18-200 lens, & flash, 4 gig CF card) were cheaper with their bundle than if I had bought them separately. I just threw away the extra crap.

Nothing wrong with buying on ebay...but for such an expensive purchase I'd check to make sure the company checks out with the better business bureau (www.bbb.org).

I bought everything I own off of eBay, camera-wise, including my camera, and I don't have one negative thing to say about it. As long as the seller has good positive feedback, they value their reputation and will not sell you a dud. It's not a black market, as some people like to imply. Just ask the right questions of the seller and you'll find a good quality model of just about anything you want.

-gsxturbo- sorry to hijack your thread, buti think it may benefit us both.

I too am looking to buy from ebay, but i have some concerns that have not been yet addresssed here in this thread.

Im looking to get a nikon D80:

is it important to buy from a authorized nikon retailer? for warranty purposes maybe?

what is the importance of them emphasizing "usa" in thier auctions, are there different cameras in different reigions?

are the packages that are offered with "nikon" accesories, bags, dvd's, filters etc still "garbage"? Dont get me wrong i can tell that some of the package deals are not very much of a deal at all, bu some do seem to be equiped very nicely.

again gsx sorry to hijack:mrgreen:

Grey market stuff that doesn't have full manufacturer warranty.

I bought an Alpine Head Unit that was roughly $350 off retail from some outfit from Florida. I never did use it, but I turned around and sold it on eBay a year later. Point is, I was told that it didn't have the Alpine Waranty (is a 1 year waranty worth $350?). Wasn't to me because the unit that I did buy from a local shop discounted it all the way down to like $750. Its all in how much they want to make.

The camera may very well be perfect just like a normal market item, but what recourse do you have when something goes wrong. Wait, this sounds to much like the insurance conversation I had in my office a little while ago.

*Edit* My purchase has worked out perfect!

-JD-

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back