Advise on doing a large group shot

Call_to_Arms

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My brother is a part-time fire fighter and his department is dues to have a big group photo taken, they asked if anyone knew anyone they trusted to do it right the first time and I got volunteered. I was feeling good about it, I had to change there original plan slightly because they wanted to shoot infront of a fire hall in the morning when the sun would have been behind them, I moved them out on the lawn, so I should have the light over my right shoulder. I had planned on using my XT and my A-1 on back-up, but just yesterday I was informed they want to enlarge this to something like 18"x24", will my camera do that? specifically, has anyone used a 8mpix XT with the 18-55 lense on it the shoot and enlarge that big? Will my A-1 allow me to go that large? Id find some premo film and probubly use my fast fifty on a tripod ofcourse. I dont have any medium format stuff..... yet, so this is what I have to work with. Is it do-able?

At that size you are looking at printing around 100DPI. You can quite acceptably upsample the image using a lanczos or if that isn't available sharp bicubic resampler to get this to 150 or 200DPI which should be more than enough to make a picture that large.

Just don't expect it to be tac sharp if someone sticks their nose on it. From a reasonable viewing distance it is perfectly doable.

I do this all the time at receptions with groups between 100-600. Can absolutely be done, but you will need one extra light at a lens between 15-24.
Hope that helps

thanks guys, maybe thats my problem right there, I am accustomed to tac sharp images, ive gotten spoiled. Just checking, you are talking about doing this with the digital? it will be outdoor, im not using lights.

Yep even at 8megapixels chances are sharpness will be determined by the lens. Just like using 35mm slide film.

Anytime I've done large group shots and I've got 'one chance', I set my shutter to continuous and fire off as many as I can. Guarantee someone will have their eyes closed, making a weird face or something. Usually about the 3rd or 4th shot is the one that has everyone looking serene.

Most reactions

Back