AE-L/AE-F... able to actually lock?

elementgs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any way to actually lock the auto exposure and/or auto focus on the D810 without physically holding the button down?

I'd like to press it once and lock exposure and/or focus and then fire more shots using the same focus/exposure point.

Last edited:
Go to your custom settings menu, then to controls and then go to Assign AE-L/AF-L button and select AE Lock (Hold). That way the exposure will lock and stay locked until pressed again, it won't lock the autofocus though.

Another thing you can do, is to change the setting for the shutter release button so that it does not activate the AF. Then use only the AF-ON for AF. The technique is called 'Back Button Focus'.

This way, you focus by pressing the button with your thumb, then to lock the focus, you simply release the button. When you take the photo with the shutter release button, it won't focus because you've removed that function from the button.

Another thing you can do, is to change the setting for the shutter release button so that it does not activate the AF. Then use only the AF-ON for AF. The technique is called 'Back Button Focus'.

You can then assign the Function button to AE-Hold, or shooting in M.

Ahhhh lame I don't know how I missed that. I've been using back button focusing but I didn't see the (hold).

Perfect, this is much better. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back