AF 85mm f/1.4D vs f/1.8D

pezuzaine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
can anyone tell me what's the difference is between these 2 lenses - besides the fact that one is $750 more than the other?

Sachphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
well one is an F/1.4 and the other is a F/1.8 thats about it. The 1.4 is very sharp and makes a wonderful out of focus background with nice bokeh. The 1.8 is not half bad either. Unless money is burning a hole in your pocket I say just get the 1.8 but that is me.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
The f/1.4 has wonderful rendering and drawing style. The f/1.8 model is sterile. It takes a lot of visual sophistication to be able to appreciate the differences. Similar to the differences between a Brooks Brother's suit that costs $1,295, and a Men's Wearhouse suit that costs $329; both are suits, right? Both have a jacket and pants, right?

fudsylow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.newimagephotography.com.au
Photos OK to edit
Daniel,
I have the 1.8 and have been shooting weddings and portraits with it for 10 years... love it. I couldn't afford the 1.4, and yeah although the bokeh is great on the 1.4 I couldn't (and still can't) justify the difference...
Rich :)

Sachphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
The f/1.4 has wonderful rendering and drawing style. The f/1.8 model is sterile. It takes a lot of visual sophistication to be able to appreciate the differences. Similar to the differences between a Brooks Brother's suit that costs $1,295, and a Men's Wearhouse suit that costs $329; both are suits, right? Both have a jacket and pants, right?

Thr trick is to buy the suit at a consignment store and get it for $300...
Though I am very partial to Zegna myself... The fit and feel of a nice suit is second to none!

Most reactions

New Topics