AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

krystalynnephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should I get it?

Aaaaaannnddd, go!

The real question is, should I get it over the [h=1]50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX[/h]

Depends on the camera; if you need a lens that will AF on a "small Nikon" that needs an AF-S focus motor in the lens, then NO,do not buy the 1.8 AF-D model. I own a couple of the screw-drive 1.8 50's and like them for their small size and 52mm filter size...they pair up well with the 24/2.8 and 35/2, due to the small barrel size, 52mm lens cap/filter size.

The newer 50/1.8 G is bigger. MUCH bigger, and I have no idea "why"...it makes no sense...the lens is huge for a 50/1.8...58mm filter diameter, so it doesn't pair up worth a darn with anything, and the lens barrel and its hood are both obese...just sooooooo fat for a 50....but optically, a bit better than the older model.

I have a D7000, so I'm good... thanks for the tips.

Depends on the camera; if you need a lens that will AF on a "small Nikon" that needs an AF-S focus motor in the lens, then NO,do not buy the 1.8 AF-D model. I own a couple of the screw-drive 1.8 50's and like them for their small size and 52mm filter size...they pair up well with the 24/2.8 and 35/2, due to the small barrel size, 52mm lens cap/filter size.

The newer 50/1.8 G is bigger. MUCH bigger, and I have no idea "why"...it makes no sense...the lens is huge for a 50/1.8...58mm filter diameter, so it doesn't pair up worth a darn with anything, and the lens barrel and its hood are both obese...just sooooooo fat for a 50....but optically, a bit better than the older model.

Another question for ya, if you could have only one: 35mm or 50mm?

35mm. I went on a five-day trip this month and took a 35, 50, and 70-300, and made 998 exposures. I used the 35mm f/2 AF-D for 80% or more of the pictures. I used the 50mm for about 5 frames of the night sky. I used the 70-300 mostly because I needed a VR lens for shooting distant subjects from a moving boat.

Thank you! I'm getting a 35mm. :) You sold me. (I was 95% there already lol)

I'd pick the 50mm over the 35mm.. :)

I was never happy with the Nikon 35mm 1.8G. I've bought it about 3 times... and sold it 3 times. However, the 50mm 1.8 always ends up on my DX body :)

(since you've picked the 35mm you don't have to read this)
I own both the 50mm 1.8D and 1.8G... Both are amazing bargains. Since you have the D7000 i'd pick up the 1.8D used for ~$80US and use the left over money on a 2nd lens :)

I would also pick the 50mm over the 35mm.

The 35mm 1.8G to me just feels to plasticky and cheap, and the image quality of the 50mm is far far better imo.

That, coupled with the fact that you can get the 50mm used in good condition for virtually ZERO money, makes it the better lens, imo.

With my D7100, I like the 24 f/2.8D as a light-weight alternative to the D700 with a Sigma 35 f/1.4.
The 24mm D works well on the D700 too.

If you think you might need f/1.4, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DX was refreshed recently in Sigma's Art Line.

There's also the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 zoom - not sure it's available yet though. This is like 5 fast primes in one zoom.

If you have the built in AF motor, yes, get the D. I own it. Love it!
Once sold it for the Nikon AF-S 50mm F1.4G and didn't like it as much.
Returned that lens and bought another 50mm F1.8D.

I purchased the 35mm yesterday. Thanks for the all of the input! :) It was all noted and no worries - the 50mm will be a purchase in the future. I eventually want the 50mm, 85mm, and probably every other lens under the moon lol But my prime collection has only just begun.

I purchased the 35mm yesterday. Thanks for the all of the input! :) It was all noted and no worries - the 50mm will be a purchase in the future. I eventually want the 50mm, 85mm, and probably every other lens under the moon lol But my prime collection has only just begun.

well, primes ARE the way to go.

Does this mean you're in your prime?
emot105.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back