AF Points and Focusing Question

superemone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been shooting with a center AF point then recompose. Just wanted to know what AF point people generally use.

Also, how do I manually control my focusing? Manual focus???? Let's say I want my subject's eyes to be sharp and everything else out of focus, or, if I want my subject's entire face to be sharp instead of just the eyes, how do I achieve such focusing?

Searched the web and read some e-books but still confused. Thanks all!

Personally I select the focus point using my point selector but the methods are irrelevant if the result is the same.... do what works for you....

as far as specific areas being in focus and areas being out of focus... this has to do with depth of field adjusted by your aperture settings.... a shallow depth of field (which is what i think your looking for) requires the use of a wide aperture (low f number... like 2.8)... read up on it and learn more...

Mostly I use the centre focusing point when shooting - its often the best sensor in the camear and its easier to track a moving target with,
As for selective sharpness well deareader has it right with it being a depth of field aspect, but also on the side of your lens is a switch to MF - maual focusing which will let you focus the lens on where you want to - can be slower than auto, but it can also be more accurate as well

I use center mostly but I also do what dear does. I find if I use the "all" point selection it focuses on what I dont' want.

I use center mostly but I also do what dear does. I find if I use the "all" point selection it focuses on what I dont' want.

100% agreed.

I'll also add that with some cameras (such as the 40D), all AF points are cross-type sensors, not just the center one, so all points are good at doing their job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back