AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX NIKKOR PROBLEM????

smradina357

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I have bought Nikon d5100 with AF-s 18-55 VR DX lenses. I am really satisfied with my kit but there is one problem that I have encountered today.

I was shooting something using the LIVE MODE. The aperture was set to f22 in A mode. Ok, so after I took the shot, my aperture blades did not go back to their original position, it's like they have jammed on f22. Now, I have to turn my camera off and on or switch from live view to viewfinder and then back to live view again for them to return to normal state. Why is this happening?

Hi. I have bought Nikon d5100 with AF-s 18-55 VR DX lenses. I am really satisfied with my kit but there is one problem that I have encountered today.

I was shooting something using the LIVE MODE. The aperture was set to f22 in A mode. Ok, so after I took the shoot, my aperture blades did not go back to their original position, it's like they have jammed on f22. Now, I have to turn my camera off and on or switch from live view to viewfinder and then back to live view again for them to return to normal state. Why is this happening?

Adjust the aperture. Press the +/- and spin the wheel at the same time. See what happens.

Yes. I know, but shouldn't they go to a "prime" position after I take the photo? Let's say i set it to f32 and take a photo in live mode. The blades stay at f32 and do not retract, resulting in a darkened live image on my screen. The lens should be fully open after taking a photo.

Yes, the aperture should open back to wide open after the photo is taken. At least my D7000 does. Try a different lens and see if it behaves the same way.

that's not how it works. if you stop down it stays that way until you open it back up. read your manual.

Ok. I have attached my old lenses. The same thing happens. They wont go back to wide open.
Sifelaver, ill try finding this in the manual but i think that it is not supposed to be this way (if my aperture blades stay at position set at f32 my live view picture is dark).

Look at the electrical contacts on the camera body, there are several of them that make contact with the contacts on the lens. Clean them CAREFULLY (read that as VERY carefully) using a pencil eraser and holding the camera body upside down so that an pieces of eraser fall out and not in.

I've done as you have told me to do. Nothing :( The same thing happens...I'll take it to a local photo store to see if they have any ideas and after that I'll send it back to authorised Nikon dealer since I have warranty on it.

Dirty contacts are frequently a problem, but if that didn't fix it then getting Nikon to deal with it is your best bet. Especially since it is still under warranty.

When on the camera, the aperture should be open to maximum until a photo is made or video is started. When that's done, they should return to maximum.

However, when off a camera, they should always close to minimum.

Most reactions

Back