AF-S 18-55mm VR Kit Lens

Abhi.Naik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I am a beginner planning on buying an Entry Level DSLR. Either a Nikon D3100 or Canon EOS 1100D. I have a seperate thread running for suggestions and help on that. But I'd like to know how good good is a Kit lens for a Beginner?

I'd be interested in Portraits, Macro, Night Shots and Landscapes.
Thanks.

It's only real downfall is not having a super low f/stop number. Meaning that night shots take a while to expose properly (amongst other things, but for what you said, that's the most relevant). Get the kit lens and then a 35mm f/1.8 prime and you're set. The images it produces are very sharp. It has good contrast and saturation.

It's great lens for a beginner.

Here is a photograph I made using a Nikon 18-55 mm VR lens:

BoothIID907-28-9_020.jpg

The new 18-55 VR is said to be sharper than it predecessors, so should be a good lens for an SLR beginner.
These are good shots, but say little about Chromatic Aberration, contrast etc.
Look for some full-size samples.

Jaan
My this year's definitive gift guide for photo enthusiasts

I've never had any issue with chromatic aberration with the 18-55, and I've been specifically combing through all the images I have taken with it looking.

It is a tiny bit weak at low f/stop numbers (wide apertures) in the contrast dept. You usually need to shoot it at about f/8 or smaller apertures to really get the contrast and saturation to pop.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back