AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

krystalynnephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any opinions on this lens? I played with it at the store the other day and liked it, but I'm finding mixed reviews. My budget won't even barely allow anything much more expensive right now and it seemed to produce lovely images.

Yep most that poo-poo the kit lenses are glass snobs expecting everyone to buy a prime or f2.8 zoom instead.
It is actually rated pretty high for a kit zoom. And one I would be happy to start with.
And my daily use lens is actually another kit lens the 55-200vr.
Good enough that at least half of my Getty stock images are with it.

Use for awhile and let it lead you into your style and needs for the next lens as you master your camera.

I think it depends on what you're shooting, and what your current lens collection is. If you don't have a nifty fifty yet, I would get one. Maybe an AF-S 50mm f/1.4 which is around your price range.

I sold my but...
I personally kick myself in the butt every time I pick up my camera...
I really liked the portability and convenience along with the great results it produced.

Thanks for the replies, every body. I went back today and played with it a bit more.... I do like it. I think that's what it'll all boil down to, in the end, any way. :) I am super interested in a 35mm and 50mm, but the 18-105mm keeps calling my name.

I shot with one for 3-4 years. Never once has anyone said, "Ewww.... look at that crap he posted! Must've been using his 18-105....."
nope.gif

I have that lens and I replaced it with a 16-85. After comparing the 2 for a while I can honestly say that there is nothing at all wrong with the 18-105. I was just itching to spend $600 on a metal mount and better build quality. I really can't see any difference in the IQ.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back