AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

zrheath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get this lens since a couple of months after getting my DSLR years ago, and now that I am getting back into photography and learning more about the creative abilities of my camera, I am seriously considering the purchase now. I have done all the research and have read every review that has been written on the lens (mostly good), but I would like some opinions from everyday photographers on using this lens as an "everyday lens".

I currently just use the 18-55mm kit lens + 55-200mm lens. My problem is that I take my camera everywhere I go and rarely like to carry both lenses. I utilize zoom a lot, but also want the abilities of my 18-55mm at certain times.. so this lens makes total sense to me when it comes to functionality, but I would like to hear our opinions on the drawbacks. I know many photographers don't like these all purpose lenses. My second choice would be a 18-200 or maybe an 18-140, but what are the big differences going to be?

So you know lots of photographers don't like the superzoom lenses, these do it all lenses are super practical but they also are soft and for me the whole point of using a good camera is to be able to produce good pictures and somehow these lenses don't seem like the right tool to do that.
Its a case of practicality over image quality.
If I wanted slow lens the only lens I would consider is the Nikon 18-140mm VR which is fairly sharp and not too expensive.

There are compromises to zoom lenses and the wider the range of the zoom, the more the compromise. These compromises include poorer acuity, more distortion, more optical aberrations and less contrast. I would split your choice up into two zooms. You already have a wide angle zoom and a telephoto zoom. You could consider choosing a zoom centered around a normal lens. An example would be the lens I use the most which is the DX Nikkor 18-55 f2.8. If you don't need the speed Nikon makes a slower, smaller one that would likely fill the bill for you. But I don't think technology is at the point yet where an 18-300 would perform well enough for me.

Its a good lens for its purpose. I have one, but barely used it, but that's just because I have way more than I could use a lot.
If you'd like to try it out, go for it. Its your money after all. If you don't like it you can return it and try something else.

There is a lot to be said for an 18-300 lens. I don't have the Nikon version, I have the Sigma, and have been quite happy with it as a versatile, walk-around lens. It isn't as sharp as some of my other lenses but I knew that when I bought it. When I know I'm going to need a broad range of focal lengths it beats the hell out of carrying two lenses around.

For that money get the Tamron 16-300

Thanks for all the opinions. You have confirmed what I have thought to be true: it's like all things in life, we sacrifice quality for convenience. As for the 18-55 f2.8, it's just not enough zoom and my goal is to not carry two lenses. My girlfriend just bought the Nikon 18-140 so I will give that a try when it gets here and see how I like it and go from there. If anyone has some examples or could point me in the direction of some examples of the quality difference between the 18-140, 18-200, and 18-300 and how they compare with non-superzoom lenses that would be great. I have looked and have not come across any.

Thanks for all the opinions. You have confirmed what I have thought to be true: it's like all things in life, we sacrifice quality for convenience. As for the 18-55 f2.8, it's just not enough zoom and my goal is to not carry two lenses. My girlfriend just bought the Nikon 18-140 so I will give that a try when it gets here and see how I like it and go from there. If anyone has some examples or could point me in the direction of some examples of the quality difference between the 18-140, 18-200, and 18-300 and how they compare with non-superzoom lenses that would be great. I have looked and have not come across any.
I think the 18-140mm lens is a good compromised of focal flexibility and image quality, it is equivalent to 27-210mm on full frame which should be more then enough for most (non wildlife) needs.
I use 2 lenses which cover me from 24-200mm on full frame and its perfect for what I need.

At your stage I would recommend either getting a superzoom and learn your style and focal length preference rather than get sucked into the image quality trap, or get a 35mm f/1.8 and learn to compose and see with only one focal length.

Most reactions

Back