AF speed on 150-600's & 200-500

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering what the AF speeds on the 150-600mm vc/c/s and also the 200-500mm nikon. Anyone have a go with at least two of these lenses or all 4 of them?

I raced the Nikkor 200-500 against my Tamron 150-600. The Nikkor won by a mile. And 7 tenths.

I heard that the tamzooka is faster than the contemporary, which leaves the sports.

I heard that the tamzooka is faster than the contemporary, which leaves the sports.

Thomas Jefferson once said, "Never believe everything you hear on the internet."

Did that include mister Jefferson himself?

lets suppose that the sport has better af, the heavy weight does hinder you when hand holding it and also 1/3rd of a stop slower at 500mm.

lets suppose that the sport has better af, the heavy weight does hinder you when hand holding it and also 1/3rd of a stop slower at 500mm.

I have no idea. No one has bought me either of the Siggy's to test out.

Suppose you cant trust anything on the internet.

I have no idea. No one has bought me either of the Siggy's to test out.
Amazon has a no hassle policy. See if i can order both and return one of them :)

Don't bother with the sport get the Nikon. It's lighter that's enough of a win, plus it's cheaper. If you need weather sealing get the sport.

The nikon actually costs more here.

my 150-600mm sport seems to focus pretty quick.. its heavy though.. nice IQ and sharpness, mine focused perfectly out of the box some people seem to need to use the sigma dock to dial it in. great lens. from what i see of the niko 200-500mm IQ is also very good, it weighs less ..

my 150-600mm sport seems to focus pretty quick.. its heavy though.. nice IQ and sharpness, mine focused perfectly out of the box some people seem to need to use the sigma dock to dial it in. great lens. from what i see of the niko 200-500mm IQ is also very good, it weighs less ..
I have to admit that i really like the sport from everything i've read and heard. I put sigma everything on my cam, they've been coming out with nothing but great stuff. But their lenses seem to always pack way more glass. I remember when i replaced my 50 1.4g with the 50 1.4 art, it was so much heavier. The sigma sport for example has 24 elements in 16 groups, while the nikon has 19 elements in 12 group. But i'll see and test both the nikon and sigma when they get here. :)

I have to admit that i really like the sport from everything i've read and heard. I put sigma everything on my cam, they've been coming out with nothing but great stuff. But their lenses seem to always pack way more glass. I remember when i replaced my 50 1.4g with the 50 1.4 art, it was so much heavier. The sigma sport for example has 24 elements in 16 groups, while the nikon has 19 elements in 12 group. But i'll see and test both the nikon and sigma when they get here. :)

plus you have a big metal lens hood on the sport that weights about half a lb lol... the sigma is fully weather sealed, i do not think i would try this at home but check out this video lol.. i do not think the nikon is weather sealed.

the nikon was not out yet when i got my sport but since the nikon is about half the price here i wold have probably bought the nikon. they do look pretty comparable in image quality and the lighter lens would have been nice. looking at photos on flickr and this review made me decided to get the sport it looked like the best lens that was out at the time that i could kind of afford.

Shooting Hand-Held with the Sigma 150-600mm Sport

the only thing that i do not like is the lens cap on the sport is cloth and it wraps around the lens. the inside of the cap is a micro fiber like material that sets against the lens so i guess that always keeps your lens clean lol..

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back