Affinity Photo

Fujidave

Blue eyed and Beautiful
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So last night I got Affinity Photo plus the Workbook that is now on the way, today I have just started my free 30 day trial of Capture One Pro 11. Since I got rid of all my Canon kit and switched to Fuji, I have been thinking about switching my editing software. At the moment C1 Pro 11 and AP work good together, but what are your thoughts if you own and use both ?

Affinity Photo is an excellent PS clone. Do not use Affinity Photo with raw files from any camera -- Affinity raw processing is destructive. Edit your Fuji RAF files in Capture One. Learn to use Capture One so that you don't need Affinity Photo. Goal should be one app processing and that one app should be C1. C1 is a little pricey but it's worth it. With C1 you have the best chance to complete your edit inside a single parametric editing app. If you can do that you achieve the most efficient and effective workflow and your editing is completely non-destructive and non-linearly re-editable.

Joe

Thank you for getting back to me, very useful info you gave. Just trying how to save a Raf as a Jpeg ?

Glad I have managed to get my Topaz plugins working in AP too.

Do tell! I have the affinity app on my iPad but have been thinking about getting the desktop version to go with. I have been using PSE 11 to access the topaz plug-ins. If I can access them through affinity that would make me even more likely to buy it

Affinity Photo is an excellent PS clone. Do not use Affinity Photo with raw files from any camera -- Affinity raw processing is destructive. Edit your Fuji RAF files in Capture One. Learn to use Capture One so that you don't need Affinity Photo. Goal should be one app processing and that one app should be C1. C1 is a little pricey but it's worth it. With C1 you have the best chance to complete your edit inside a single parametric editing app. If you can do that you achieve the most efficient and effective workflow and your editing is completely non-destructive and non-linearly re-editable.

Joe
Does C1 support layers now (I haven't looked at it in quite a few versions)?

Thank you for getting back to me, very useful info you gave. Just trying how to save a Raf as a Jpeg ?

c1_output.jpg

Joe

Do tell! I have the affinity app on my iPad but have been thinking about getting the desktop version to go with. I have been using PSE 11 to access the topaz plug-ins. If I can access them through affinity that would make me even more likely to buy it

I only have 3 Topaz plugins and they would not load right, so I looked on Google and it says it is easier if you have Topaz Studio.

So this is what I did and it comes up fine in AP. Go to Edit then Click on Preferences then Click on Photoshop plugins, then Click on Open default folder in explorer, then go to your C Drive and find Topaz Studio then Click on that. Then on the screen at the bottom is a small square, Click in that box and it will show up Unknown plugins. Then it works or should do, hope this helps.

Joe

Yes -- unlimited, and all editing functions are independently supported at the layer level.

Joe

Joe

Yes -- unlimited, and all editing functions are independently supported at the layer level.

Joe
Nice - I may have to look at adding it to the stable.

Joe

Joe
Nice - I may have to look at adding it to the stable.

Lightroom has better overall DAM capabilities and extended functions while C1's core editing abilities (especially color) are out ahead. C1 does a better job than LR implementing layers and (at least for me) performs faster when an edit has multiple layers. For me that means I have a slightly better chance to keep an edit entirely within C1 and so avoid the complication and restrictions of a two app edit. If this was a horse race I'd describe it like this: LR and C1 are neck and neck out front with a comfortable 2 length lead over the rest of the pack.

Joe

One last question, then I am set up. Thanks to you Joe I now have it all set to save in Jpeg and 1200 on the longest side, but how do I get the MB size down as it says image to large ?

One last question, then I am set up. Thanks to you Joe I now have it all set to save in Jpeg and 1200 on the longest side, but how do I get the MB size down as it says image to large ?

In C1 when you switch the output format to JPEG a slider appears just below labeled Quality. Reduce the quality until the final file size meets your requirement.

Joe

I use AF and have been pretty happy with it. I'm interested though in the post that it is destructive of RAW files. I upload RAW files (am doing so as I type this), convert to jpeg, edit, save as jpeg yet still have my RAW file (in addition to my jpeg). What are you doing that alters the RAW file? I just export my edits (and specify the format--in this case jpeg and quality level).

Most reactions

Back