Affordable landscape lenses

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking about getting a lens to shoot landscapes. What are some of the lenses that you recommend using that perform well in low light and is affordable?

How wide do you need? Of course, shooting landscapes does not automatically equal to wide angle. I saw quite a few examples of good landscapes photos were taken with telephoto lens. (I had a Nikon book did includes a telephoto landscape photo). Will that be using with a cropped sensor body?

For wide shots, I use my Sigma 10-20mm lens for my Canon Cropped sensor camera. And in low light situation, I use the tripod.

50/1.8 AF-S G series; 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G series; the older manual focus 70-200mm f/4 Ai-S is a very good zoom, available for a little over $100 used and is surpisingly competitive with anything when shot at f/8 from a solid tripod...I bought a 70-200/4 Ai-S last year and put it on a tripod and D3x and was pretty amazed at how good a lens it was. The 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S Nikkor is another solid lens with great optics, available low cost.

I'm personally looking at a 35mm f/1.8 AF-S G for myself. They're only about $200 brand new! But, like Derrel said, the 50/1.8G seems nice as well.

I am thinking about getting a lens to shoot landscapes. What are some of the lenses that you recommend using that perform well in low light and is affordable?

ANY lens can be a good landscape lens. Wide angle lens, telephoto lens, zoom lens, prime lens, and macro lenses can all be used in landscape photography. Landscape photography can include wide sweeping landscapes images, close intimate detail images, and everything in between.

If you want any helpful responses you are going to need to specify exactly what kind of landscapes you want to shoot.

focal length would be helpful information to have.

Also, will a tripod and long shutter speed work in your low light scenario?

35mm 1.8 DX and 50 1.8 FX are the 2 natural candidates for your needs.
The 35mm is a DX lens and 50mm is FX.
In the past I heard the 50mm is considered a sharper lens but I am not sure about this.
If you think in the future you plan on moving to FX body then the 50mm is a natural lens to take.

Either way both lenses are good choices, I personally chose the 50mm for my night photography and portrait, for wide use I have my Sigma 18-35mm, not the sharpest tool I have but plenty sharp for my needs and this lens is VERY affordable.

For landscape you can typically settle for f/4 or f/5.6 lenses as you will usually be on a tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back