After The Shot is Taken Questions

CaptainClick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I love taking photographs of people. Especially ones that tell a story like:
Moderators Note-----NSFW/Nude image link deleted.

EDIT: Was a billboard of women in stockings with loads of men taking pictures & staring.

But what do you do when this happens?:
1x.com - hey guys, he took a picture of me ! by Greyhorse

And you get caught? If you get caught before the photo the natural pose is usually gone anyway. What are your stories of when people realise your taking a picture of them and their reaction and yours? I have a 18-55mm lens so I reckon I'm going to get caught an awful lot so I want to be prepared.

Last edited:
Hope they aren't angry and chat! Chat with them and snap while you are chatting. You will learn lots about amazing people and get some great shots too. It's not exactly unobtrusive street photography, but it's still street photography of a sort.

Keep your composure, and communicate. I usually wave with a smile and never encountered any problems.

Should you be questioned, tell them the truth (why you shot the photo, what you found interesting about them/what intrigued you to take that shot at that moment - their eyes, attire, their posture, how they compliment the surrounding, etc). Chances are they'll be flattered. Also carry a business card with your email and website with the photo and/or offer to email the photo to them.

After people discover you're taking their picture they do act differently. It is an artistic choice you have to make whether you're aiming for an unsuspecting candid shot or if you want to pose your subject. I find that it takes about 3 seconds to get a few frames off before my subject, or someone else, notices me taking photos. Once you're noticed, the shot you were aiming for without them seeing you is probably gone, although if you strike up a conversation you may get your subject to pose and come up with something even better than what you expected!

More often than not I go completely unnoticed, even in some low density areas without many people. If my subject looks at me photographing them it's easy enough to just pretend to aim my camera at something else for a minute and then go back to shooting them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back