After Twilight to Midnight

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1. To start the evening off, a meteorite singed the sky...
400-0073.jpg

400-0080.jpg

400-0095.jpg

4. Make a campfire, have something hot to drink and wait.
400-0106.jpg

600-0146.jpg

6. camera says about 1:07am (about 12 midnight PDST)
400-0149.jpg

I am deeply impressed by that meteorite in photo no. 1.....

Is that REALLY a meteorite that you photographed in 1?
I can't say I have ever seen one, I mean: EVER.
And you manage to photograph one! Way cool!

And all the other photos are Desert In The Moonlight?
What a wonderful experience that must have been!!!

great series walter, i love the comp on the campfire shot, and #2 & #6 are my favs. I love taking photos by moonlight... these are better than anything I've managed to come up with... :thumbup:

the second one's shweet, love the color and texture. Nothing beats a cold beer and campfire for me. :)

your just showing off now :lol:
1, 2 & 4

Thanks all!

The streak, was most likely a meteorite. Probably with mostly ice. A low whoosh, and I swear, you could smell it. I was in the middle of a long exposure and as soon as it closed up I spun it around and started grabbing shots. I've only seen one other falling star leave a vapor trail like this a few years ago- most cool. I have had suspicions on a few jet contrails, but usually ignore them after a bit. Meteors/falling stars are quite common here, but becoming less frequent as more "humanage," mindlessly builds disposable homes in this once sparsely populated/rural area. However, out in the middle of the desert, they can be seen quite often and easily. Usually they just streak light across the sky and rarely leave a vapor trail. I think it's in August of every year, the earth passes through an asteroid belt. The show can be quite amazing. Next year, when I have a remote, I know of a nice wide open spot in the dark I'm going to go sit for a few nights.

Another note about meteorites; Usually when a remnant is found, it is on a dry lake. Not because they are attracted to them, but playas (dry lakes) are free of most vegetation and the rock can be more easily discovered.

I love the desert at night, and have done both moonlight and starlight hikes. You have to be a little careful, but the eyes adjust after about 45 minutes and I think it's to about 60-70% of what can be seen in the daylight. I carry a flashlight, but have yet to use it night-hiking.

Thanks Mohain.

An additional note;

I originally shot #2 for an HDR. I didn't realize it until the day after I posted and went through all the shots I took. I think it came out a little better with all the exposures. The HDR seemed to bring out some detail in the shadows.

400-em03-m.jpg

thanks for sharing those abraxas :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back