Aftermarket Batteries

These are some brands as you can call them. But they are basically a third party manufacturer with someones label on them. If you check other products and view their pictures. You will notice many of them look exactly the same with the exception of the name and maybe the writing on the items.

In the past I have purchased third party batteries. But lately I have been just buying the branded batteries (Nikon for me). I have never actually had a problem. Just I do feel it's a little bit of a risk that they are not manufactured properly.

I'd hate to wreck a very expensive camera over a few lousy bucks on a battery....

This topic comes up every month or so and a search will show more posts than you could possibly want to read.

I've had two aftermarket batteries. One, despite the ampacity shown on the label, discharged much faster than my Nikon batteries. The second would not even go in the camera. Never again, they are not for me.

Keep in mind you could be voiding your warranty if you use off brand batteries.

I used the Wasabi brand with my Nikon 7100 but I had bought that body used and didn't buy the WasabI until long after my warranty ran out. With my newest much more expensive body, I won't be using the off brand. Not worth the risk for such a small savings.

I've used Wasabi for years and years, in many different camera bodies and many different camera manufacturers. I've never had a problem whatsoever ... of any kind. I don't like being ripped off by the price point on OEM batteries.

I have used Sterlingtec for years, in fact I just recharged a pair of 10 year old batteries for an old body and they charged up and the body is working just fine.

There aren't many battery manufacturers and none of them are camera manufacturers. In my experience the brand printed on the case is immaterial. They come from the same factories as the OEM batteries.

I have used Sterlingtec for years, in fact I just recharged a pair of 10 year old batteries for an old body and they charged up and the body is working just fine.

I think Sterlingtec are the ones I bought for my Coolpix 8700 and D40X. I might also have had a couple for D300 as well. I sent them off when I sold off one of my D300's.

Offbrand batteries are notoriously known for having less charge, performance, or reliability than brand batteries. Substantial problems with offbrand batteries are also not unknown. The D500 even had problems with brand batteries. And if you have brand batteries, Nikon will switch them for you for newer versions.

All in all I dont like the idea of using anything but the best batteries, battery grips, cards, lenses etc available for my camera. Which, except for lenses, at least for Nikon currently means always the brand products. I might not buy the top camera, but I sure as hell dont want my camera to operate below its potential just for being a cheapskate, or worse break it.

From my experience batteries are batteries. There are good and there are bad. When the OEM car battery dies, I go with an off brand. The last one was an Interstate AGM for the truck. Far superior than the OEM.

That is why the only off brand I have ever used for my camera bodies have been Sterlingtec. They are one of the only two that I would trust, the other being Watson. Read a lot of good things about them, just never tried them.

I had both Nikon and not-Nikon batteries in a D5300 and a D80. All worked acceptably and the discharge rate was not noticeably different.
Every so often the D5300 would balk at using the not-Nikon batteries. I'd just turn it off - put the batteries one at a time into the base and then turn it on and they'd work from then on. The cost of one Nikon battery will buy 2 or 3 not-Nikons. And they won't hurt the camera! Just don't leave them in if you send the camera in for warranty work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back