Aftermarket Ebay LP-E6 Batteries, Tested..

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by SimpleSimon, Aug 27, 2013.

1. HughGuessWho

HughGuessWho TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like the consensus is pretty even now. Aftermarket is actually ahead. As I said in my earlier post, I have both aftermarket and Canon OEM batteries and can tell absolutely no difference.
    So, what was those reasons again?

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

About 10 years ago, I know a person here in USA who has a factory in China that made cell phone batteries. The final products were sold in USA. At that time, he told me that the cell phone batteries he sold were made in China, but the actual cell itself were made in Japan. Not sure if it is the same nowadays.

About a year ago, I bought a spare aftermarket battery for my new Canon Camcorder. The Canon camcorder has issue communicate with the battery. The company stated that the battery works with older model, they will exchange a new one to me once they receive the new shipment that has a new chip or something like that which support the new camcorder. But I decided to just keep it. It works fine except the camcorder do not know the battery status.

So I think it is similar to Lens. The aftermarket manufacturers may need to reverse engineer the Canon battery to make their product compatible with the Canon gears. There is a chance the the aftermarket battery cell were made in Japan.

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This testing I did was only on the batteries that I received, I to have had some good quality aftermarket batteries. But these ones are rubbish. I included the pictures so if you see some with the same labeling I would think twice about purchasing them. There is some fake Canon batteries out there as well, at this stage I have not come accross one to test.

4. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, if they are even then I'll tip them in favor of OEM:
    1. When I bought my first DSLR I got a second battery to go with it. I didn't realize until I got home that it wasn't a Nikon battery. I figured it would be fine since the rated ampacity was higher than the OEM and the voltage was the same. I wasn't really surprised to find out that the rated ampacity was much lower than advertised and in reality a charge lasted nowhere near as long as the lower ampacity OEM pack.

2. I bought a camcorder for my office a couple of years ago. I also bought a second battery with it, however this time I knew it was an aftermarket battery. When I got everything the aftermarket battery wouldn't even go into the camera. I verified that it was the correct pack, and it was, but it would not go into the camera.

The other argument is perfectly exemplified by this topic. Several people have reported no problems whatsoever with aftermarket batteries, some have reported problems. The bottom line is that it's a crap shoot whereas with OEM packs there is absolutely no question that they will fit, they will work, and they will live up to what is expected from them.

Everyone can do what they want to, but personally I'm done with aftermarket batteries and will only use OEM packs in my cameras.

5. MarshallG

MarshallG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    While we're on the subject, I needed a new battery charger, and I bought a Canon charger on EBay.

The charger says Canon and it works just like a Canon charger. It's impossible for me to tell this charger from the actual Canon charger. May e Canon does sell their battery chargers in Bulk. It came packed in a clear plastic bag only.

All I can say is that it looks great and works just fine.

6. pharmakon

pharmakon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I buy aftermarket batteries from a company called Sterlingtek, which I found through some old threads on this forum. They sell on amazon and also have their own website. I have had good luck so far with 2 batteries for my 50D and one for my S100. The BP-511 equivalent have worked flawlessly for over 2 years now.

7. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well... let's see; after-market is running 50-50; OEM is running at or close to 100%. That's enough for me, but putting that aside, if one of those after-market batteries were to leak inside your camera, what do you think your chances of a warranty repair are? Just sayin...

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Update.

The supplier of these batteries is sending me 2 more as they stated the 2 they sent me must be faulty. Once these arrive i will conduct the same tests. Also i re tested these batteries will a lower discharge rate (100ma) and they have not shown any improvement.
    Currently testing the OEM Cannon battery again, just to double check what it's actual rating is.

9. HughGuessWho

Photos OK to edit
    I doubt if Canon manufactures a single batter themselves, so, aren't all "OEM" batteries "third party"?
    In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "Chinese" batteries that are being bashed are sold to Canon with their label on them and distributed as "OEM".

It's the same old argument we hear every day. Buy what you want and have had luck with.

10. HughGuessWho

Photos OK to edit
  11. MarshallG

MarshallG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My aftermarket battery works exactly like my Canon battery in my 7D and in my battery grip. The camera reports shutter count, battery health and serial numbers for both batteries.

12. OldSlowHans

OldSlowHans TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit