Aftermarket Ebay LP-E6 Batteries, Tested..

SimpleSimon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All.
I have been able to get my hands on some new after market batteries that are sold on Ebay, its a replacement battery for the Canon LP-E6. i have also put these batteries through a battery analizer to actually find out how these test up. The results are very concerning.

These 2 batteries came with an aftermarket battery grip that was bought for a Canon 7d, the idea of a battery grip is to give longer shooting times right??

Results:

Battery 1.

To start off this battery would not charge, i think this is due to it not having the chip or the chip may be faulty. This battery weighed 75Grams (Origional Canon is 79Grams) As i could not charge this battery it had to be charged with an aftermarket Lithium Ion Battery charger. This battery would also not work in the camera, it just says that it is unable to communicate with the battery. Total usable capacity was 793mAh, or 37.76% of rated capacity... not very good from a battery sold as 2100mAh!!

Battery 2.
This battery would charge fine on the Canon Charger, Once charged i thought i would put it through a capacity test. I tested this battery with a 400ma load, this is quite small and would give the battery the best possible chance of giving good capacity. This battery was tested twice, with a full charge for both with sitting time of approx 30mins between the full charge and the discharge test. The capacity of this battery is sold as a 2100mAh battery, the actual usable capacity was 547mAh and 552mAh, thats only 26% of the rated capacity. I did expect this battery to be low because it only weighs 47Grams (Canon Origional 79Grams). Both batteries supplied are identical except for capacity and weight (75g and 47g)
If i was to run both batteries 1 & 2 in a Battery Grip i would have a total usable capacity of 1340mAh. Why bother, as the origional Canon LP-E6 has a usable capacity of 1800mAh!!!

Will continue to update this post with the outcome as i have presented these results to the supplier and i am currently waiting for a response.

I am repeating the tests overnight with only a 100ma load, this will give these batteries the best opportunity to prove me wrong..

So buyer beware, Ebay batteries are cheap for a reason.

Cheers.
Simon..

$20130827_175657_resized.jpg$20130827_175850_resized.jpg$20130827_175908_resized.jpg$20130827_202030_resized.jpg$20130827_180036_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I have several, 10 or 12 maybe, eBay aftermarket batteries, including the exact batteries that you list. In my experience, they perform the same as the Canon batteries, at 25% of the price.

Just my $0.02

I bought a few of them. They work OK but the cameras, 6D and 7D, say they can't communicate with them.

I never bought an aftermarket battery for my camera. I always wondered how they would perform compared to the canon ones. I figured you get what you pay for. I always here mixed reviews. Some people say they work great and some say they aren't worth it.

Over the years I have tried some of the no name after market ebay batteries for an old Minolta A1 and a Nikon D50. Although all have worked they discharged very fast and then ended up not taking full charge after just a few recharges. When the two after market spares of each type were ready to throw out, the original manufacturers battery was still working and recharging fine in both cases. I currently have some thirdy party "branded" batteries that are holding and working a lot better than the white box no name batteries and are still cheaper than manufacturers. However on my Canon T3 my spare is a Canon battery as is the spare for the Panasonic DMX ZS5 battery. I was concerned the cameras may not recognize third party batteries particularly on the Panasonic BCG10

I've bought my aftermarket LP-E6 batteries off Amazon, not that they're probably any different than the eBay ones. Anyway, I've had no problems with mine. They communicate with my 5D3 w/grip just fine. They show percentages, accurate battery meter, and they last just as long as my factory ones. All of them work flawlessly, and I have about 8 of them.

Aftermarket batteries varies. Some are as good or even better than OEM, some are worst. When I'd my XTi, I had one OEM and one aftermarket with hundreds positive ratings at the site where I bought it from. Both can communicate with the camera and I did not notice any difference.

And I have few OEM and one aftermarket batteries for my 40D, the aftermarket one was bought locally at RadioShack (clearance). They all works fine except the one from RadioShack has less capacity.

Sounds like the consensus is pretty even now. Aftermarket is actually ahead. As I said in my earlier post, I have both aftermarket and Canon OEM batteries and can tell absolutely no difference.
So, what was those reasons again?

About 10 years ago, I know a person here in USA who has a factory in China that made cell phone batteries. The final products were sold in USA. At that time, he told me that the cell phone batteries he sold were made in China, but the actual cell itself were made in Japan. Not sure if it is the same nowadays.

About a year ago, I bought a spare aftermarket battery for my new Canon Camcorder. The Canon camcorder has issue communicate with the battery. The company stated that the battery works with older model, they will exchange a new one to me once they receive the new shipment that has a new chip or something like that which support the new camcorder. But I decided to just keep it. It works fine except the camcorder do not know the battery status.

So I think it is similar to Lens. The aftermarket manufacturers may need to reverse engineer the Canon battery to make their product compatible with the Canon gears. There is a chance the the aftermarket battery cell were made in Japan.

This testing I did was only on the batteries that I received, I to have had some good quality aftermarket batteries. But these ones are rubbish. I included the pictures so if you see some with the same labeling I would think twice about purchasing them. There is some fake Canon batteries out there as well, at this stage I have not come accross one to test.

Most reactions

Back