Aftermarket Metal Hood for Nikon 200-500mm f5.6

quinte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just received my 200-500. Anyone know of an aftermarket metal hood for this lens? Links appreciated. Thanks.

Curious as to why you want something metal. I have only seen plastic ones myself. I would think that metal ones would bend/deform fairly easily as opposed to plastic which will "give."

Metal will better protect your lenses and won't brake if you bump it into something

Only had a couple lenses with metal hoods and they are very nice, prefer plastic now as I want that to give and not some part of the lens.

I am pretty sure that B+W have screw-in metal lens hoods, you would need the 95mm unit for this lens. The lens has plastic filter threads so it looks like those could be a failure point if the lens hood was banged up against something.

Some lenses come with metal such as my Nikon 200mm macro. My Sigma 150-600 Sport has a heavy duty metal hood. Metal or plastic doesn't scare me. Never had a problem with either, not to say I couldn't. I just wanted to know if anyone had a link to one, and if they screwed into the filter thread (not what I would want) or a bayonet mount. I would at least like to evaluate them. BTW, I had to immediately send my 200-500mm back to Amazon. The autofocus went out after about 10 test shots. I thought they had that issue fixed. Perhaps I received an earlier version that slipped through the cracks. I preordered another one from B&H this time. Hoping for a good copy because I think I am going to enjoy the lens. Thanks for input.

The AF-S 200-500mm f5.6 VR is the budget telephoto of Nikon. A LOT of image quality for cheap, but in a cheap housing, and autofocus isnt the fastest ever.

So frankly I utterly and completely fail to see the point of using a metal hood with a plastic lens. Do you really want the LENS to get destroyed if you have a collision ?!?!?!?

Besides, plastic hoods can be quite sturdy, too. I'm into photography since approx three years now, and so far all my hoods (all plastic) have survived. Okay, I'm a hobbyist and I'm not doing stuff like climbing mountains.

Don't all of you get worked up by my request. Heee. Just wondering. If I want metal, then I will get metal if it is available. I was looking more out of curiosity. Like I said some of my lenses have metal, some plastic. I never have a problem with either. I am quite aware of what the Nikon 200-500mm is quality-wise, but I look forward to getting a good copy and using it. Many reviewers of the lens have stated that the lens hood is flimsy, hence my quest. Thanks for all the advice. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Id rather crack a $10 hood instead of destroying a $1500 lens.

Just wondering which is better. Personally I will go with plastic since I personally think it is better for shock absorption. If the metal will bent easier, then it maybe offer better protection for the lens. Energy need to go somewhere. Just like cars nowadays, they have crumple zone which absorb energy during impact to deform part of the car while protect the center pod. So if a metal hood is very sturdy, the impact force may transfer to the lens itself and destroy something and that means not much of a protection.

Dao said:
Just wondering which is better. Personally I will go with plastic since I personally think it is better for shock absorption. If the metal will bent easier, then it maybe offer better protection for the lens. Energy need to go somewhere. Just like cars nowadays, they have crumple zone which absorb energy during impact to deform part of the car while protect the center pod. So if a metal hood is very sturdy, the impact force may transfer to the lens itself and destroy something and that means not much of a protection.

Whoa,whoa,whoa buddy! Ease up on all this science-talk! The OP wants a metal lens hood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back