Agreed to help shoot a wedding, making a gear-to-buy list...

<snip>
... be aware that I am a second shooter. There's no pressure; I'm there for the experience and to catch some shots that he might be too busy to get.
<snip>
I may have misread that ^^, but I presumed you would be there to assist the main photographer. From most of what I've read, that entails carrying/moving/adjusting his/her gear as a first responsibility (i.e. experience) and shooting when/if the circumstance avail themselves.

That's the reason for my disclaimer... I DON'T SHOOT WEDDINGS. :D

Ahh, well, just to clarify from my understanding...

A second shooter is usually there more as a shooter, to get candids etc. Often they do help with set-up etc.

Many times a photographer will also have an assistant (as compared to a second shooter) who has the primary responsibility of carrying gear around etc.

A second shooter is usually there more as a shooter, to get candids etc. Often they do help with set-up etc.
Oh, okay, that makes sense. Thanks. I'll just shut up now and take a seat over in the corner, if you don't mind. :blushing:

Stroboframe flash bracket (and the flash cable that you'll need).
There's nowhere to plug a cord, of any kind, into a SB-600.

You'll need to explain that to my SB-600, which is always connected to my D80 via cable!

Actually, I don't understand your confusion. The cable is merely an extension of the hot shoe to the flash head. SC-17, if I remember correctly.
I was stuck on thinking a PC jack. I forgot about the SC-29/SC-28. No excuse, since I have a couple of the SC-29. :blushing:

I agree that a flash bracket is a nice addition, but you don't necessarily need a stroboframe (unless you want to spend the $$). I have a Promaster which was alot cheaper and works fine.

Promaster? How does that replace a flash bracket?

Promaster is the brand of flash bracket. Looks very much like a stroboframe but, if I remember correctly, about 2/3 the price.

PROMASTER SystemPRO Flash Bracket 1 #5726 : Wolfe's Camera Shop

OK. I thought that you meant a different brand of flash head.

epp second shooter always tries to compliment the main photographer. Keep in contact with him at all times and see what was missed by him and for you to cover. My partner and I always switch off between second shooter and main shooter so there is no confusion and we communicate through two way radios. Different angles of the same event occurring is always good from a second shooter. Flash by the main shooter and Natural light covered by the second shooter is also a good compliment. Bride Reaction and Groom Reaction is always great as well. You could cover the guests or the relatives while the main shooter coveres the bride, groom and entourage. So there's just so much to cover it's just a matter of complimenting the main shooter to where you know what needs to be backed up by you.

I don't know the conditions and environment of the wedding so I can't answer your question regarding equipment limitations.

Good luck! :)

Dont forget you can rent just about anything you might need/want to try, for fairly cheap in comparison to purchasing it.
You could even go grab a D300 if you were so inclined, and I'm sure you would have it figured out pretty quickly.

A second camera even if it is just a point and shoot. Nothing worse than catostrophic failure and you can't take any photos at all.

Second, I wanted to ask what your plan is. Are you going to shoot the poses from a different angle? Are you going to be told what to do by the main photographer? Are you going to shoot the guests so the bride and groom can have pictures of their in laws drinking together while they are getting the couples pictures? Are you going for the candid shots? Just making sure you've planned out your role at the wedding.

Many times a photographer will also have an assistant (as compared to a second shooter) who has the primary responsibility of carrying gear around etc.
He already has an assistant: my sister (his wife ;))

This pretty much means two things...

1) Focus on your own technique... (as I said, don't get bogged down with gear... its not a do or die thing for you).
2) Stay the hell out of the way.

*) oh yeh... for god sakes leave the optical triggered flash at home. lol

One time I assisted, I spent the majority of the time holding a stand (legs folded), strobe, heavy battery, and reflector 3 feet above my head tied to the photographer by a flash cord. I did get some experience in during candid reception photos...

Let me clarify, I am not an assistant or a lackey who will be carrying stuff around. I am a second shooter and will be shooting the whole time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back