Ahhh! Macro Lens help!

prism_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D-70s and I'm in dire need of a macro lens... But here's the thing, I'm not too big into the technicalities of a camera... I just take pictures with it and learn about it as I go.
So let's consider this a learning session.

I did SOME research and I have no idea if any of it is right, but here's the choices of lenses

-AF Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8 D

- AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8 D

-AF NIKKOR 14mm f/2.8 d

Are they even good marco lenses? Are they compatible with my camera? Which one is the better choice?

Oh man I feel like such an idiot for asking amongst a bunch of professionals... I'm learning :blushing:

Thanks!

Hi. The 60mm Micro Nikkor you mentioned is a good macro lens... the other two however are not macro lenses at all but a wide-to-standard zoom (the 17-35) and a wide-angle prime lens (the 14mm).

I assume that the reason you are in "dire need" of a macro lens is because you want/need to photograph small objects up close? Before buying anything I suggest reading a bit about macro lenses - this is only a Wikipedia link but it's a start. Meanwhile, I'll just say that what you are probably looking for is a macro lens with a focal length of 50mm or more... something like the 60mm might be ideal for some uses, however if you want a little more working distance (for example if shooting insects or other small animals) then a longer lens, up to 200mm, might be better. 90mm or 100mm are perhaps the more popular choices. In any case the thing to look for in a macro lens is a reproduction ratio of 1:1.

Oh, and don't worry... we're not all professionals here, and we are all still learning (hopefully) :wink:

The 60mm is a true 1:1 macro if I recall correctly. The problem is you need to get significantly close to your subject to achieve the 1:1 size. This makes it a bad lens for insects butterflies and other such things that may bail on you when you get close. The 105mm MicroNikkors are the most wonderful macro lenses imaginably. The current generation 105mm AF-S VR f/2.8 IF-ED N lens is rather expensive though and if you are on a budget I may recommend getting the previous generation model The AF D 105mm f/2.8. The Downsides are that there's no VR and it takes longer to focus.

The 60mm is a true 1:1 macro if I recall correctly. The problem is you need to get significantly close to your subject to achieve the 1:1 size. This makes it a bad lens for insects butterflies and other such things that may bail on you when you get close. The 105mm MicroNikkors are the most wonderful macro lenses imaginably. The current generation 105mm AF-S VR f/2.8 IF-ED N lens is rather expensive though and if you are on a budget I may recommend getting the previous generation model The AF D 105mm f/2.8. The Downsides are that there's no VR and it takes longer to focus.

Going along with the last generation (the D version): for macro you rarely use AF, so its lack of an AF-S motor shouldn't be a huge factor.

I've seen some great work from the 105mm Macro. This will also give you a greater working distance from your subject.

Most reactions

Back