Ahoy matey's

CaboSailor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I've just joined this forum so I can add it to my list of cooking, sailing, and straight razor forums.

Here's the story. I retired about a year ago and am getting the ol'boat ready to go cruising. Ya'll know... the Keys, the East Coast, the Caribbean, all the usual. Now for many years I was a dyed in the wool film guy, 3 Canon bodies, a mess of lenses, a subscription to Zone VI, and my own darkroom. Well between work and sailboat stuff I've been away a while from photography.

Now I'm learning about drawing, watercolor and as a reference for the drawings, etc., I've been taking pictures with basically a point and shoot Olympus C-5050 digital.

Now maybe it's just me not knowing how to use the silly thing but the shutter lag while trying to get good shots of pets and other action pix is driving me mad. I also miss having my interchangeable lens. We'll not even speak about parallax.

I'm now in the market for a DSLR and am totally confused because I don't know which features I need vs. which would be nice. I still think in terms of film.

Being on and around the ocean I worry that I need a sealed camera such as the Olympus E3. But do I? That's a lot of cash. What about something like the Canon 40D or the Olympus E620? Every time I think I've made up my mind someone writes a horror review about catastrophic failure and factory reps disallowing the warranty because of high humidity or some such.

I don't expect to have you folks solve this. It'll be my decision but perhaps you can help in determining what I actually need. Nor do I expect an instant solution. After all I've still got a bunch of work to do on the boat and my lady and I aren't scheduled to leave for another 6 months.

Well, sorry for running off at the keyboard. I knew I should never have taken that touch typing class my freshman year of high school. :mrgreen:

Regards,

Rich

Most reactions

Back