Air Show C+C!

Yownhouse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So when I first got my camera in August we had an air show that I took pictures at. This was when I didn't even know anything but the presets on my camera (obviously from the over exposure on the Blue Angel). I kind of know what's wrong with them from a photographers stand point but feel free to leave me some advice and maybe give me some ideas for the next time?

-Would a polarized filter be best to neutralize that sky a little bit?

BlueAngels2074.jpg

2 - that is a 12 foot fence for reference.
BigJet.jpg

3 - Just to show you how big this Jet actually was. The wingspan of the Blue Angel is 40 feet.
PlanesTraindandPlantains038.jpg

Pic 1 would be great if it was a bit brighter. Pic 3 would also be much better if you were not on the wrong side of the chain link fence.

i like the first one and ya a polarized filter would help, i use one almost all the time.

Better?
<snip>

Yes. Wow nice grab, you can see the pilot :D

...Also about the polarizing filter? Won't that make it considerably darker and force you to bump up the ISO (figure you want to keep the shutter speed as low as possible shooting something moving at mach1) ??

shouldnt need all that great of a shutter speed if you're panning with the aircraft.

I did that once with the Blue Angels and ruined them all......I almost always give 2/3 fstop over and run with it....Even with Image Stabilization you want as fast a shutter speed as you can, At least 1/1600..........You are not jerking in the same axis the aircraft is going.......AI servo is a big plus in focusing on FAST moving objects.....Mike
SmokinRaptorMikesBest.jpg

BlueAngels4-passMikesBest.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of lens did you use for these shots?

I have one sort of like yours USM IS
As11.jpg

Liked seeing the pilots? I got pretty close and personal.
as10.jpg

One of my other all-time favorites.
as4.jpg

I'm going to make a new thread on some other Air show pictures if you guys are interested in actually giving C&C to the photos that I thought were the best. I will post the link as soon as I make the thread. Thanks for the advice by the way!! :)

Most reactions

Back