Air travel with a tripod

Snap Happy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mariastravels.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure where else to put this thread, but has anyone managed to travel with a full-sized tripod? Lest I get detained by TSA or entrust my tripod in the hands of Southwest Airlines baggage handlers, I figured I'd seek some advice here.

Planning a trip to the Grand Canyon (via Vegas), not planning to check a bag since I'm the last to arrive and want a speedy getaway from the airport. I have a full-sized (68"+ tripod) that folds down to I'd guess less than 3 feet tall once bagged. I suppose I could try to get it diagonally in my suitcase, but that's definitely going to require the biggest bag I have.

Anyone travel through the airport with their tripod have any advice?

Not only have I travelled with my tripod, I've travelled Southwest many times with it.

My carryon bag is my bookbag, so I always find a way to stuff it in there, evne though a good part of it is sticking out. That way it will still count as only one bag.

I have found that some airports are picky about having those extra bags, some aren't. When I fly out of chicago, it's not a big deal....when I fly out of Baltimore, I have to make sure I have no more than what is allowed.

Not including the tripod, how many bags are you going to be carrying on? And how big are they? If they are too big, you can't carry them on.

I have a padded tripod bag...I've never tried to bring it though the airport though. I think there is a rule about the length of somthing that you are allowed to carry on.

Maybe call the airline and ask them directly. Otherwise, I'd suggest finding a box that will fit and check it.

My last trip, I saw a hockey team and they were all travelling with their hockey sticks...so a tripod shouldn't be too bad.

Not only have I travelled with my tripod, I've travelled Southwest many times with it.

My carryon bag is my bookbag, so I always find a way to stuff it in there, evne though a good part of it is sticking out. That way it will still count as only one bag.

I have found that some airports are picky about having those extra bags, some aren't. When I fly out of chicago, it's not a big deal....when I fly out of Baltimore, I have to make sure I have no more than what is allowed.

Not including the tripod, how many bags are you going to be carrying on? And how big are they? If they are too big, you can't carry them on.

Let's just my carryon suitcase is a day roller - small rolling suitcase. My tripod folds up smaller than a boogie board, which I've carried on before (don't ask). Only planned to bring the one suitcase and my purse. IF I tried to stuff the tripod into the suitcase, then that means bigger suitcase, and that means checking the thing :/ I wonder if I have a bigger day bag that SOuthwest might count as a "purse" that could get onboard as well. Maybe stuff the tripod bag in there?

I have a padded tripod bag...I've never tried to bring it though the airport though. I think there is a rule about the length of somthing that you are allowed to carry on.

Maybe call the airline and ask them directly. Otherwise, I'd suggest finding a box that will fit and check it.

My last trip, I saw a hockey team and they were all travelling with their hockey sticks...so a tripod shouldn't be too bad.

Hrmm maybe I need a hockey stick and a roll of duct tape :wink:

I'd be willing to bet you would be fine with just one bag and a purse. Will the tripod fit under the seat in front of you along with the purse?

I'd be willing to bet you would be fine with just one bag and a purse. Will the tripod fit under the seat in front of you along with the purse?

Doubtful under the seat (unless I lay it sideways and it goes into someone else's foot space) but definitely in the overhead.

Eh, I can't imagine you'd have any trouble, to be honest. But as I said...different airports are different in that respect, so don't take that as a garauntee.

I strap mine inside it's case onto the side of my backpack. It's roughly 26" long. Your combined LxWxH of your bag can be no larger than 48" with most airlines, so just hook it to a skinny bag. If you want to carry it on, you could and just have it and your small personal item. I'm sure it'd be fine, they are more worried about weight anyways.

Most reactions

Back