Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...ok, so in four days I'm getting on my very first airplane...ever. I've gotten most of my questions answered already, but a few more have popped up. So...I know I'm allowed one carry on (under a certain size) and one personal item (my camera bag). Now...if I bring a bottle of water and a banana or some other snack...would that be included as a personal item? Should I shove them in my pockets? Or will that not be allowed either!? :lol: I'm clueless really. Someone told me that flying really dehydrates you though, and you should bring a bottle of water. Also, we'll be leaving home at 3:30am so we won't really have much time for breakfast. I'll have a banana or somethign before we leave, but I really don't think we'll have time to eat until late...we go straight from the plane to the Capitol tour...so...yeah...just a few questions.

If I think of anything else I'll post.

Just put the banana in your pocket...and tell everyone you're happy to see them :lol:

Seriously, if it will fit in one of your bags...great! If not, put it in your coat pocket. No worries. You can always get bottled water on the plane as well. No breakfast served on your flight? Is it too short?

dont put on inside pocket could get seriously worse... especially at the metal gates...

you can also tell them it's your first flight and they will give you wings, no matter how old you are. My first flight was to DC when I was 23 and I got the wings ...

I've always brought a bag for personal stuff and my camera bag onboard. Lots of times I've boarded holding another bag from a store or food place and I've never been questioned. You should be just fine!

anicole said:
you can also tell them it's your first flight and they will give you wings, no matter how old you are. My first flight was to DC when I was 23 and I got the wings ...

i didnt get any :grumpy:

:(

woodsac said:
Just put the banana in your pocket...and tell everyone you're happy to see them :lol:

Seriously, if it will fit in one of your bags...great! If not, put it in your coat pocket. No worries. You can always get bottled water on the plane as well. No breakfast served on your flight? Is it too short?

Hehe..I dunno..maybe it is served on the flight. I told you I know absolutely nothing. I'm not sure I'd be able to eat a whole meal anyway.

My eating routine on a normal day is as follows:

Banana for breakfast. Orange or Tangelo (or something) around 10 or 10:30. Two peices of toast at lunch, maybe some yogurt...Some other sort of snack, like cottage cheese or yogurt or grapes or...something at around 3, then a normal dinner. So...I'm used to just snacking all day on fruits and veggies or something, basically. Normal meals stuff me, then I'm starved an hour later. :grumpy: It sucks.

you now you cant take "dangerous" metalic objects....
my mum had her blunt scissors for cutting plasters confiscated, and someone walked on behind us with an iron spikey fire poker big and heavy enough to break doors and many human parts!

[/rant]

You mean Jeff isn't going to have a hot meal ready and waiting when he picks you guys up?? :lol:

If you're skipping breakfast that morning, definitely bring something along. The meals have been cut back so much by so many carriers, I never count on that. You'll be offered something to drink, at least, but there's no point in setting yourself up to be feeling shaky by the time you hit the Capitol! :)

terri said:
You mean Jeff isn't going to have a hot meal ready and waiting when he picks you guys up?? :lol:

If you're skipping breakfast that morning, definitely bring something along. The meals have been cut back so much by so many carriers, I never count on that. You'll be offered something to drink, at least, but there's no point in setting yourself up to be feeling shaky by the time you hit the Capitol! :)

Yeah...see, that's exactly why I'm trying to plan ahead. Though I can't go to the doctor right now (damn lack of insurance), I'm fairly certain I have blood sugar (or something) problems...If I go too long w/out eating I start to feel very sick and weak. (yeah, I know, that happens to EVERYONE when they don't eat, but not usually before or very shortly after the hunger pangs start...usually takes a lot longer for people).

So...yeah...I've learned how to manage my food intake to prevent that from happening, usually.

not in singapore.... if you look carefully you can see the ones with snipers behind the one way glass...:shock:

They will usually have some sort of snack bag on the flight...about 3 grams of bland something :( . Usually they offer pop or juice as well...depends on the airline.

You can usually bring a carry-on as well as a personal item (ie: a purse). Also, their size restriction is pretty loose...I've seen many, many carry-ons that were much bigger than the cage that they have in the airport for size. From my experience, they don't mind so much on size (within reason) as long as it's not to heavy. We had a bag that was clearly over sized and asked if it was OK to carry on. She put it on the scale and said sure. It really depends on the mood of the airline employee.

Don't check any bags, if you can help it.

My advice, get or use a small to medium sized roller suit case (about 16" x 28"). I bought one for $25 at a discount place at the mall. Try to put all of your clothes in there and take it as a carry on. Then have your camera gear in a camera bag or back pack. Then have a purse or small hand held bag for your tickets/lunch/personal items.

It makes the whole flying thing much faster and easier when all your luggage is with you at all times. Although, since it's your first time...it might be fun to wait at the carrousel for your bag to come out. (although it takes forever).

If you are flying as a couple...it should be easy to pack light for a few days on vacation. Each person can take a carry-on plus an extra bag or backpack.
I didn't think I could pack that light...but our last trip to California, we didn't check any bags and it was much, much better.

Make sure to eat something, or have a snack. You usually end up waiting in lines, and it takes a lot longer than you think...until you can stop for a bite to eat.

Most reactions

Back