airport x rays

Again, FWIW, I've flown extensively in the US as well as to Europe, Asia, South America, and Austrailia & New Zealand.

I tried putting the film in a clear ziploc bag out of the plastic cans. Most of the screeners still made me run it through the x-ray machine.

I've now made up a lable for the bag that says, "LAB - Push Process for ISO 1600". That worked the last time I flew even though the film was rated 200 ISO they did hand check it.

Be aware that you MUST be prepared for much more time at the screeners if you insist on this.

DocFrankenstein said:
mrsid99 said:
Gotta disagree again.
You like disagreeing don't you?

Well not really but technical subjects that I've had first hand experience of are like a red flag to a bull, I guess I'm an old time nit picker. :wink:

You're probably a nikon fan too, eh? :lol: :wink:

I did mention that I normally use a 10D and that's a CANON 10D however, I confess to owning a Nikon N90s too. I'm so confused! :lol:

Well... the theoretical aspect of it says that it is possible for the CF or micropocessor to be damaged by a radiation particle. However it is VERY small chance.

Cheers

DocFrankenstein said:
Well... the theoretical aspect of it says that it is possible for the CF or micropocessor to be damaged by a radiation particle. However it is VERY small chance.

Cheers

Define the particle and it's energy level? :wink:

Ok... OK! :D I admit! I was thinking more in term of alpha particle. That one has enough energy to cause some damage. The xray one is the gamma machine... so it should be ok. :D

DocFrankenstein said:
Ok... OK! :D I admit! I was thinking more in term of alpha particle. That one has enough energy to cause some damage. The xray one is the gamma machine... so it should be ok. :D

AFAIK Alpha particles are the weakest, stopped by a sheet of paper (if I remeber standard grade physics).

Gamma particles are the most powerfull needing a few feet of concrete or some lead to stop them.

Bryan

edit----
I know it's not quite what we are talking about but here's the answer according to the New York Institute of Photography. http://www.fabuloustravel.com/tips/photography/photoxrays.html

edit edit----
Check this out too http://malektips.com/digital_camera_memory_0008.html

An alpha particle is a fast moving helium nucleus, thus carrying a charge of 2+. However, they only a travel a few inches in the air and are blocked easily with a piece of paper.

eromallagadnama said:
I'll be taking a trip soon as well in January, but dont' have digital. I thought that nowadays they MADE you put your film in checked luggage. Anyway I'm planning on carrying on the camera and other stuff, just not the film...unless it's possible to do so without it ruining. Is it????

Quite the opposite. Signs at the airport tell you specifically NOT to put film in checked luggage. They use a stronger x-ray for checked luggage that will damage your film. X-rays for carry-on luggage is quite safe for film. I've travelled with up to ISO800 film many times with no problems. Technically, you can request a hand check of film but not all airport employees will honor it. You can argue with them, but unless you are carrying high speed film, I wouldn't stress over it.

AFAIK Alpha particles are the weakest, stopped by a sheet of paper (if I remeber standard grade physics).

Gamma particles are the most powerfull needing a few feet of concrete or some lead to stop them.

Bryan
But alpha particle does the most of damage....

I really should take up something more productive than arguing on the net :D

I forgot where I was, NY or Portland airport but they had a huge x-ray machine. The security asked me if I had any electrical equipment in my bags as they could be damaged by the machine. I don't know how likely it would have been but I had a brief discussion with the security guard who said it was a higher intensity machine than the usual.

Just better safe than sorry.

DocFrankenstein said:
But alpha particle does the most of damage....
:D

It appears we are both correct, Doc....

"Alpha rays are easily absorbed by materials and can travel only a few centimeters in air. They can be absorbed by tissue paper or the outer layers of human skin and so are not generally dangerous to life unless the source is ingested or inhaled. If alpha radiation does enter the body, however, it is the most dangerous form of ionizing radiation."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particle

:)
Bryan

munkyofdth said:
what exactly happens to film when exposed to xrays?
The same thing as when it's exposed to the electromagnetic radiation of the visible spectrum.
It appears we are both correct, Doc....
yep. And alpha particle has enough energy to actually damage one of the memory cells. That is why the computer memory breaks sooner or later. (one of causes)

Cheers

Most reactions

Back