Alder Falls

bogleric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been trying to perfect my waterfall technique for a few years now. A little difficult becuase there are no waterfalls where I live and therefore have to travel to capture them.

This is from my latest trip this month to the Alder Falls. This image was taken at 28mm @ f/11, iso 100 @ 1/13 sec. No flash.

I am interested in general opinions about the entire image. Lighting was limited as I was in the woods and standing on a rock in the middle of the river. Is the depth of field too deep, should the image have been compositioned differently, should the shutter speed have been reduced or increased to alter the fluid flow of the water.

Thanks.

Alder_Falls_IMG_3923.jpg

I like it. Personally I prefer more blur to the water, so I would have stopped down as low as possible for the shot to get as slow a shutter sleep as possible. For something like this I dont think a shallow DOF works well. Some might say that having everything in focus because of such a deep DOF is distracting, but I think the blurred water will do just fine at drawing your attention.

Ideally if you like that aperture, get an ND filter so you can stop the shutter down a little more.

I may be going to some local falls today to try my luck.

I do have a .6 ND filter, however that was too strong and required the shutter to be slowed too much.

Thanks for your input / feedback.

of course. I for one love the super exposed water, but it isn't my picture. I think your turned out great and am waiting to go test it myself to see what I can do.

The trees are slightly distracting because they are so lush. It is a great scenery but I feel it somewhat takes away from the waterfall itself. I don't know how to fix it though, perhaps someone with a little more experience can help you there. great shot, I enjoy it. If I was into scenic backgrounds I'd get a high res file from you, but instead I use dark colored backgrounds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back