Alejandro in an awesome native Batman shirt

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick portrait I shot of my new friend a couple days ago in all natural light. I want that shirt! :grumpy:

mg_1252_by_danostergren-d6icql9.jpg

Holy harsh lighting Batman! ;) Eyes are lost in the darkness.

Huh? Lighting ratio looks on the high side, but I wouldn't call is "harsh"

Love the shirt. Nice semi-environmental picture, looks like morning at work. A little wider frame, a little more DoF, and I think this could be a nice environmental. It ain't bad now, but I think that would have been a good direction to go as well.

This one reallllly needed a reflector low & left to improve the lighting on the face; I like the shot, but as Kathy points out, the eyes are pretty much lost.

+1 on the shirt!

Yeah you had harsh lighting. But you made it work IMO. Sometimes you make the best out of the situation you are in.

I would say more "directional" than harsh and as so the strong shadows are too contrasty. A reflector, as already mentioned would be beneficial. A reflector could be anything in the field, not necessarily a device you bring along ;)

I would say more "directional" than harsh and as so the strong shadows are too contrasty. A reflector, as already mentioned would be beneficial. A reflector could be anything in the field, not necessarily a device you bring along ;)
There was light reflecting off of a building about two feet from him from camera left. It wasn't anything planned, very spontaneous. And I would have to agree, the light isn't harsh to me, just very directional.

Okay, Okay. The shadows are very harsh, and there is no light in the eyes. The use of a reflector would have helped a ton. I keep one in my car.

I think this looks great as an environmental portrait, to me the shadows add a lot of character to the image. I like this look, it's obviously different from the typical studio shoot with nice soft lighting across the board, but people in my immediate peer group (20 something college students) seem to prefer these kind of more spontaneous environmental shots over the studio stuff, just my 2 cents :thumbup::thumbup:

Looks good to me.

Agreed - not certain why the OP is getting hammered over "harsh" light/shadow here. The left eye IS in shadow, but there is no loss of detail, and both eyes in fact have a catch light.

Is it perfect? Nope - but it is quite lovely for an off the cuff shot. The light is pretty, the warm tones are very appealing - and the shirt is rockin' it. What more do ya want? :razz:

Looks good to me.

Agreed - not certain why the OP is getting hammered over "harsh" light/shadow here. The left eye IS in shadow, but there is no loss of detail, and both eyes in fact have a catch light.

Is it perfect? Nope - but it is quite lovely for an off the cuff shot. The light is pretty, the warm tones are very appealing - and the shirt is rockin' it. What more do ya want? :razz:

Yeah, I really don't understand TPF crowds most of the time. IMO, harsh light or shadow isn't distracting enough to ruin the photo. I personally think the photo is nice. Will adding light on the left help? Sure. Will it have the same feel? I don't think so. It will be totally different. The photo looks spontaneous. If I want half of the face filled with sun and half is in the shadow, that is exactly the exposure I am looking for. Maybe play with shadow recovery just a tad.. I typically dont overuse the shadow recovery unless I do B&W conversion.

Okay, Okay. The shadows are very harsh, and there is no light in the eyes. The use of a reflector would have helped a ton. I keep one in my car.
Unfortunately I don't have a car, just a skateboard. I think a reflector would have changed the look and feeling that I like about this photo. To me there is enough detail in the eyes and enough light, but we have very different tastes and styles with our work and prefer different things. Not to say I don't find your work to be great. ;]

I like it.

and the shirt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back