Alien Bees or White-Lightning

klostudio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am about to invest in lights and have picked out my package options, NOW I need to decide which package is better. (other notes at bottom)
B1600
AlienBees B1600

$359.95

ea.

$359.95

B800
AlienBees B800

$279.95

ea.

$279.95

HSA
Hot Shoe Adapter

$14.95

$14.95

Set of 3 Casters

$39.95

$79.90

47” Octabox (with LGSR)

$129.95

$129.95

Medium Softbox (with LGSR)

$99.95

$99.95

13-foot Air-Cushioned Stand

$99.95

$199.90

Order Subtotal:

$1164.55

Order Discount:

- $52.47

UPS Gnd Residential [85297] Shipping:

$50.20

Grand Total:

$1162.28

OR...

X1600/WLBAG
White Lightning X-Series X1600 (with free WLBAG carrying bag)

$479.00

X800/WLBAG
White Lightning X-Series 800 (with free WLBAG carrying bag)

$399.00
Hot Shoe Adapter

$14.95

Set of 3 Casters

$79.90

35” Octabox (with LGSR)

$99.95

Medium Softbox (with LGSR)

$99.95

13-foot Air-Cushioned Stand

$199.90

Order Subtotal:

$1372.65

Order Discount:

- $49.47

UPS Gnd Residential [85297] Shipping:

$52.35

Grand Total:

$1375.53

I am going to be starting this studio in my grand room in my home and have plans in the next year to set up a bigger studio in a strip mall. So I want something that will work with both locations. The grand room is not HUGE but it does hang my two vinyl backdrops with nice room to work. I also have an office with a prop closet, so I will not run out of space. I work a lot with babies and children. I shoot a lot of family gigs too. Also I would like to be able to take a light with me to shoot wedding stuff, if I decide to do weddings again. Maybe just large family gatherings. I am also shopping for a new computer for my studio, any suggestions?

Well any help would be great!!
Also I shoot right now with the first of the digital rebels. It has done me pretty good. I will investing in a new camera sometime but I want these lights first!!
Thanks so much!! KLO Studio, Gilbert, AZ

I'm pretty sure they are the same manufacturer. Alien Bees gear isn't as rugged as the White Lightning stuff. If you can be reasonably careful with your equipment Aliens Bees is good stuff. If you like to bang stuff around go with the White Lightning.

You must not be a portrait photographer. I saw your website and all I can say is HAHAHAHAHA:lol: You probably should invest in these lights yourself. I actually have been using Paul Buff's lights for years shooting for professional studios nation wide. He gets nothing but good responses on his cheap AB lights too! I like the white lightning and was wondering about people's opnion between the two. But when all you have to say is that they both suck - I would suggest going back and learning manners. I am sorry if you have always been told you suck but YOU SUCK!!

If you read I am a children and family portrait photographer not just a point and shoot and play with my pictures on photoshop. I rarely get out to shoot parades or other hobby type photos. I am here for the money and the love of the art.

Oh and next time Don't say anything unless you have something nice to say ~ or atleast something constructive.

Doc may be blunt with his opinions, but your reply is certainly less than "professional", Klostudio. There is a big difference between expressing an opinion that certain gear sucks, and telling an actual person they suck.

If you already know they are good lights because your buddy likes them, then why are you trolling for opinions on a mostly amateur photography forum? If you want to brag about your toys, just do so, we don't mind. No need to get bent when someone disagrees.

Not to make this any kind of flame war, but a good site for opinions on lighting is:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/

I have heard the Alien Bees are pretty good. I haven't heard much on they suck front. Wouldn't mind hearing why?

I have 3 main problems with the brand:
1) the energy ratings on are ridiculous
2) there are color temperature shifts as you go from lower to higher power
3) not a lot of accessories are available, and the quality of them is so so...

Another thing is that Paul Buff somehow got the marketing right, and every photo noob is talking about them... even if they never used a monolight in their life.

What do I get? I heard white lighting is good... ;)

There are more capable brands for less money

I recently got a set of lights (AB 800) from Alien Bees and have been extremely pleased with them. I am shooting Digital and any color temperature shifts (I haven't found any till now, even with low power) can be easily corrected. Accessories are proprietary but for a small studio, they work out just fine.

I think that it was an unprofessional comment made by Doc not just a blunt opinion.
If his was a blunt opinion then what I said to him was also my own blunt opinion of his work.

If you already know they are good lights because your buddy likes them, then why are you trolling for opinions on a mostly amateur photography forum?

Sorry I did not know this was an amateur photography forum. And my buddy likes them? What buddy?

I come to forums to gather information to run a sucessful business. I belong to other photography forums and ask the same questions there. For me this is a place to come and gather knowledge.

Doc's response on why he does not like the lights was a lot better than his first dumb response.

If you have an issue with me telling someone they suck then you should also have an issue with someone telling someone else that their equipment sucks!!

I'm on a " Low budget " right now. I recieved great info. on the AB lights from a forum friend, went with his decision. I recieved my B800 Monday along with a Large Softbox, Shoot through Umbrella and a few other acc's. I'm an amateur with studio lights so right now I don't know what's good and what sucks. But I can tell you this, I'm very happy with the Alienbee B800 light and looking forward in purchasing another set soon. The prices are good and I was able to get a Polaris Flash meter and a 50mm F1.4 within my budget going this route.

I'm a happy camper !

klostudio said:
I actually have been using Paul Buff's lights for years shooting for professional studios nation wide. He gets nothing but good responses on his cheap AB lights too!

And my buddy likes them? What buddy?

Sorry, I didn't know who Paul Buff was. I thought you meant he was someone you know who used the lights.

I agree that you'll find plenty of people who like Alien Bees and White Lightning. I think they compare well with most other lights in the same price range.

I think it was the type size change that got me riled up. ;) Hey, I suck.

I use the AB800's and I like them a lot. 2 B800's is WAY more than I need for my small in home studio so I have to use them basically at half power. But i have what I need when I get into a larger space and the bulbs last longer not running at full power anyway.

what Doc said is true on some accounts (although I think your first comment was a little strong, Doc). AB's arent the best lights, but they offer good light and flexibility for their price. White lightnings are better, but slightly pricier. Profoto and photogenic lights are some of the best for portraits, but they are quite expensive.

Most reactions

Back