Alienbee users/other monolight users...

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a few questions. I am planning to purchase a 4 light alienbee kit as a starter studio setup. seen here: AlienBees: The Busy Bee Complete Studio Setup Package
I would like to hear feedback from those that use alienbees. What are your thoughts on these lights?

My first question is: you have the option of either upgrading or downgrading within your package to diffent power of lights. Should I get 3 800 watt units and 1 1600 watt? 2 1600's? What would be the use of getting a 400 watt? Can an 800 watt not be turned down enough to use as background or hair light?

Please forgive my ignorance here, and I have been researching. Just not finding out what I needed to know here. I will be calling them, but wanted user input here. I am 98% an outdoor shooter (wildlife, etc), but am curious about studio work.

Thanks,

Derrick

One big advantage with the larger strobes is that an 800w strobe at half power will recycle faster than a 400w strobe at full power.

So if you could get a 4 light setup, what would you get?

2) 1600's and 2) 800's?
4) 1600's?

Or another way of putting it I guess would be:

Do I want both my key and fill to be 1600 units and the background/hair lights to be 800 w/s units?

Bees are good lights for the price. There's other strobes out there that have better consistency and performance, but you're going to pay more for them.

I would always get the biggest strobes I could. You can always turn the strobe down, but you cant turn a smaller one up.

What size of studio space will you be shooting in? How big of groups/objects will you be shooting?

If you are not shooting large subjects in large areas...you might be better off skipping the B1600 units in favor of the B800 as your main & fill lights. Yes, you can turn them down...but only to 1/32 power (5 stops). You may well find that you can't turn the power down as much as you want...and have to use a smaller aperture than you want.

Also, the biggest issue with AB lights, is that their color temps are not all that consistent...especially at lower power levels. So by getting the more powerful units and using them at the lowest power levels...you would be more likely to run into this problem.

Of course, when you need more power, it's nice to have it available. So it's up to you. But I can tell you that if you are shooting portraits or small family groups, in your basement or livingroom...then B800 lights will probably be plenty of power. I can't remember the last time I had my B800 lights turned up past 1/2 power. I use B400 lights for hair & background lights.

You could use the savings toward better accessories. I like softboxes much better than umbrellas...and the heavy duty stands are much more stable than the standard 10' stand.

You may also want to have a look at Elinchrom D-Lites.

Alienbee has some of the best customer service around, they are great to deal with.

What size of studio space will you be shooting in? How big of groups/objects will you be shooting?

If you are not shooting large subjects in large areas...you might be better off skipping the B1600 units in favor of the B800 as your main & fill lights. Yes, you can turn them down...but only to 1/32 power (5 stops). You may well find that you can't turn the power down as much as you want...and have to use a smaller aperture than you want.

Also, the biggest issue with AB lights, is that their color temps are not all that consistent...especially at lower power levels. So by getting the more powerful units and using them at the lowest power levels...you would be more likely to run into this problem.

Of course, when you need more power, it's nice to have it available. So it's up to you. But I can tell you that if you are shooting portraits or small family groups, in your basement or livingroom...then B800 lights will probably be plenty of power. I can't remember the last time I had my B800 lights turned up past 1/2 power. I use B400 lights for hair & background lights.

You could use the savings toward better accessories. I like softboxes much better than umbrellas...and the heavy duty stands are much more stable than the standard 10' stand.

You may also want to have a look at Elinchrom D-Lites.

Alienbee has some of the best customer service around, they are great to deal with.

Big Mike, this is all great advice. Sounds like 800's would be plenty for me. I will look into upgrading the one general purpose stand to heavy duty to match the other two.

I would always get the biggest strobes I could. You can always turn the strobe down, but you cant turn a smaller one up.

But if you're using big strobes that have a color shift at lower power and shooting on the edge of that shift spot, you could end up fighting different white balances between two of the same light.

Yeah, to be honest I havent used anything more then that travelite 750. I was kinda talking out of my A** sorry about that lol.

But if you're using big strobes that have a color shift at lower power and shooting on the edge of that shift spot, you could end up fighting different white balances between two of the same light.

That is the biggest reason that I would not go for AlienBee products. The Elinchrom do not suffer anywhere near that same amount and are in the same price range. If you want to go into better stuff, believe it or not, Photogenics are right up there in that price range and do not suffer from the colour casting issues, or the Profoto COMPACT line are a few bucks more but then again... its PROFOTO. Me, I am leaning into one 1000 W/s Photogenic for overpowering the mid-day sun and my strobes and lower end studio strobes for the rest.

That vagabond powerpack from AB, though... that is just sweet and worth the price.

Well, I just got off of the phone with ALienbees. Very helpful and friendly people. I ordered 3 800's and 1 400. She said use the heck out of them and if I decide I need to go up or down in power, I will pay the difference to go up or they will refund to go down. Service like that makes a good first impression. Got the 30 x 60 softbox, a shoot-thru umbrella, a silver/white bounce umbrella, grids, all heavy duty stands, remote, etc. Bring on the shutter count, someone needs some practice! LOL

Do you have a flash meter? Strictly speaking...it's not 100% essential...but it's a very valuable tool, especially when learning to shoot with strobes.

Do you have a flash meter? Strictly speaking...it's not 100% essential...but it's a very valuable tool, especially when learning to shoot with strobes.

Mike, I am researching them as we speak. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Try this flash meter
Sekonic L-358 FLASH MASTER

It is the one I use and I think just about every photographer I know owns a Sekonic 358. It a work horse of a meter and you will only need to buy it once.
As Mike said, it will help you out when learning the studio light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back