All-Around Lens for Nikon

absinthee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to get a good all-around lens for my Nikon D5000. I've been using the one it came with (the Nikkor 18-55mm) for a while now and I feel like I need to step it up. I'm willing to spend around $800 (or less if possible). I was looking to use it for outdoor/indoor shots of people and some landscapes. I thought about Nikon AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR DX.. just wondering if anyone has any suggestions... any input would help. Thanks! :D

The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any lens with a relatively small maximum aperture, like the f 3.5-5.6, would not be any better for inside shots.
Even the much wider, and more expensive, 24-70 2.8 is marginal indoors unassisted.

If you are looking for speed and economy, the 50 1.8 is the best value and excellent quality.
For outside shots the field is wide open and is really only limited by the extremes of focal length you want to cover, the amount of money you are willing to spend and the quality you desire.
You will always hear about 18-200 VR II. That has an enormous zoom ratio, reasonable cost and reasonable (if not great) image quality.
You could probably get both lenses for somewhere near your budget.

OP
A

absinthee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
You mean Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 D or Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S ? The one I mentioned is a medium telephoto-wide and would mold my tastes better...I want to use it more outside, when traveling abroad and want to get as much of circumcision. I looked at the pictures taken by the flick.com mentioned by you and the one that I thought and honestly I like more those made with 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G.. Could you tell me more details about the two, please ?

oldhippy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

Inside with 16-85 vr2

Outside

Some old guy has one for sale on this site

Inside

gardy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
i would start off by getting yourself a set of primes, 35 1.8, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, that should keep you close to your budget while gaining alot more light. i shoot with the 24-70 and 85 1.8 almost always, and love both. with that being said you will have to bump your iso a bit more at 2.8 than if your shooting a prime at 1.8 or 2.0

bc_steve

Reaction score
Website
www.stevedinicol.com
Photos OK to edit
I would get a 35mm f/1.8 and/or a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. Both will come in well under your budget, they are very sharp and will perform well indoors and outdoors. Your 18-55 should do a decent job for landscape shots. Keep in mind it will be at its best around f/8-f/11. If you find the 18mm isn't wide enough you could always look at an ultra wide angle lens.

The 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 would be an improvement over your 18-55 but I don't feel like it is enough of a difference to justify the purchase.

yioties

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would get a 35mm 1.8g a 50mm 1.8g and a 70-300 vr all refurbished and still be under $800

OP
A

absinthee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks guys, I'll look into these lenses!

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
What is it that you want to 'step up'? What is it that your current lens isn't doing for you? There are LOTS of lenses out there, and lots of options. From some of the results turned in by the 18-55, I really don't see why people put it down so quickly, it seems like a very capable lens, and with your stated budget, you're not going to get into fast glass unless you move to 1.8 primes...

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is it that you want to 'step up'? What is it that your current lens isn't doing for you? There are LOTS of lenses out there, and lots of options. From some of the results turned in by the 18-55, I really don't see why people put it down so quickly, it seems like a very capable lens, and with your stated budget, you're not going to get into fast glass unless you move to 1.8 primes...

Agreed,

I know for me being new and all, it wasn't so much that the 18-55mm wasn't cutting it but that I wanted more zoom range. So I bought a 55-200mm VR. This worked great for a while but got tired of switching lenses and started looking into the 18-85, 18-105, and 18-200. I went with the 18-200mm because I wanted a wide range lens for my do all family event camera. I just grab it and run.

You can find either lenses refurbished below your price range at Adorama.com.

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Another option for you could be the Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8, this is meant to be a step up from the 18-55 mm kit lens.

greybeard

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have the 16-85 and I think it is a considerable step up from the 18-55, especially in build quality. I really like the short "16" end of this lens. Since I have had it I haven't had need of my 12-24 at all.

oldhippy

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the 16-85 and am moving up to full frame. I have never had a better all around lens. I have it for sale on here. bought new at b&h a month ago. Took it on vacation.
It never came off my camera. If it were full frame it would never be on sale.

OP
A

absinthee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thank you very much for your opinions! They helped enormously to clear my doubt. ^_^

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics