All-in-one or stick with Canon?

pookieguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
Want to get back into photography and already decided on new Camera. I'm getting the 70D instead of waiting around for T6i to come out. However, posting here to get opinions on lenses. I'm torn between an All-in-one or just stick with Canon quality and deal with the two lense issue again. These new All-in-one lenses look quite enticing and looking at both the Tamron 16-300mm or Sigma 18-300mm. Just sounds convenient but on the other hand, I'd like to stick with Canon. Note that I'm on tight budget and is why I mention this and want advice on best pair with the 70D.

So... Torn between these two lenses or stick with a two lense carry again. If so, it would be the Canon 18-55mm and Canon 75-300mm lens but the one with IS. . A bit more expensive and less convenient, but I think quality will be better for wildlife shots which I primarily like to take.
Any opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
--mike

In general, optical quality is better in short range zooms, so if you aim at quality, better have two lenses. Or more, as typically happens (this is the advantage of interchangeable lens cameras: you can have the best).
Said that, in Canon line, the 75-300 is the worst and cheapest tele. At about the same price you can get the 55-250 IS that is generally recognized as better. An then there is the 70-300 IS USM, better but more expensive (this one replaced a 75-300 IS that was sold years ago). And then again those L-things... e.g. 70-200/4 IS.
A good alternative to the 70-300 IS USM is the equivalent Tamron, which is considered on par or even better.
Since you bought a good body, do not place a bottleneck in front of it ;)

Enzodm,
Thanks for reply and happy Thanksgiving.

I guess I typed it incorrectly. If I choose the two lens route over the All-in-one, it would be the zoom lens from Canon link below that is much more expensive than the one they have without IS.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Is this the one you are referring to that is a bad lens?

Sent from Galaxy S4

this is the good one, the difference is 75 vs 70 .
And again, check Tamron 70-300 reviews because it usually wins against Canon's (sharpness and stabilization in particular, non rotating vs. rotating from element).

Hi all,
Want to get back into photography and already decided on new Camera. I'm getting the 70D instead of waiting around for T6i to come out. However, posting here to get opinions on lenses. I'm torn between an All-in-one or just stick with Canon quality and deal with the two lense issue again. These new All-in-one lenses look quite enticing and looking at both the Tamron 16-300mm or Sigma 18-300mm. Just sounds convenient but on the other hand, I'd like to stick with Canon. Note that I'm on tight budget and is why I mention this and want advice on best pair with the 70D.

So... Torn between these two lenses or stick with a two lense carry again. If so, it would be the Canon 18-55mm and Canon 75-300mm lens but the one with IS. . A bit more expensive and less convenient, but I think quality will be better for wildlife shots which I primarily like to take.
Any opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
--mike

I've found the 70-300 zooms don't work for me as a one-in-all lens because I take more shots at the lower end. I have several Tamron lenses; the 18-270 is my favorite and with IS is an excellent do-all lens. It is also way better than the Canon 70-300!

Most reactions

Back